free website stats program battery not charging | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

battery not charging

around 3000 rpm have 59 volts

It is not a proof positive test (because there is no current load on the stator) but seeing that level of voltage is great. That strongly indicates the stator is probably good. (more tests to follow)

Now hook the stator and regulator back up as it normally would be. Place a DC voltmeter directly on the battery posts. With the ignition & key off, what does the voltmeter read. Now start the engine and let it idle. What does the meter read in hundreds of a volt (12.XX). Increase RPM to 3000 RPM and hold at that RPM. What does the meter now read in hundreds of a volt.

I find it so hard to believe that the brand new genuine HD regulator is bad. Did the new regulator have 4 wires as this attachment shows? If so, is the wire with the ring terminal attached to a clean frame ground?

After installing the new regulator, did you happen to have any accidental sparks from a shorted screwdriver or something while installing? Anything that could hurt the new regulator?

Attachments

• 2004_regulator.pdf
    164.1 KB · Views: 5
looks just like pic ohmed out all grounds,all good, i think that someone poped the reg and stuck back in box,it has 12+ volts at the plug where the stator connects with switch off if the stator putting out ac volts and there is 12 v dc there how is it gonna work?

i think that someone poped the reg and stuck back in box,i

Well that could be the case.

If you wanna make 1 more test before you spend another $125 you can try this. This time, measure the output of the stator with a load on it. Get 2 thin sharp straight pins. Push a pin through each of the stator wires. Don't let the pins touch each other or to ground. Make sure the stator is connected to the regulator. Connect your AC voltmeter to the pins. We can now measure the voltage of the stator while connected to the regulator.

Make sure those pins won't touch each other or to ground. Start the engine. See if you still read that 26 Volts AC at idle and 50 volts at 3000 RPM. If you do, it sure looks like your new regulator was defective.

Back