free website stats program basic riders course. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

basic riders course.

I am like many of the other riders on here. I grew up on bikes mostly dirt, but a few small street bikes too. I had over a 10 year span where I had not been on a bike, and I did not want to rent or borrow a bike to get my "M". I took the class, learned, and enjoyed it. The instructor was all over me b/c comming from dirt I was use to throwing knees out and standing, while I could get away with that on their little 250's, I can not imange doing that on my Fat Bob. End result, I think all should have to go through the course, whats the worst that will happen, you find new people to ride with, and you break a few bad habbits.

I took a rider safety course through the MSF 2 years ago. 35 years old at the time I had always been interested in motorcycling but did not want to buy a bike and find out I hated it. I had never even sat on a motorcycle before the class. There were many riders in the course with decades of experience becuause it was offered by the military and they needed to take the class to ride their bike on base. 2 of my classmates failed the course with over 20 years on motorcycles!! They had attitudes and were upset that they had to ride around for two days on the little 250cc hondas and did not give the instructors any credit for knowing what they were talking about. The instructors were fantastic and only graded them on performance.....not attitude.....and they plane refused to conform....not shifting down to 1st before touching down.....not doing proper TCLOCK inspections etc....

The course is designed for riders with no experience and for riders who want to learn the MSF way. They just refused to listen.

I have taken both the Basic and Intermediate course. They were both excellant. Never enough time to prastice doing it the right way.

Congrats on passing and be safe and enjoy riding. Everyday is a new learning experience on the road. The one thing I got out of it and could apply to riding a trike was always being aware of the surroundings and a little more in depth than when driving a car or truck to transport a client's trike.

Congrats on passing the training. It's definitely worth it.

When I took the motorcycle training waaaaay back in '83, my instructors had a definite negative attitude toward Harleys. They flat out advised riders not to buy them because they were unreliable and required frequent maintenance.

Didn't have any problem though since I was riding a 425 Suzy when I started and half way through the training I rode in on a new '83 Honda V45 Magna.
Ended up missing the last two days of the training because of work, but those were just riding to town so the instructors had no problem giving me a pass.
Riding those Honda 200 trail bikes was a riot. Especially when we practiced mounting curbs. I'd go airborne and clear the curb every time:D. Didn't care much for riding the 250 customs though. I looked like a clown and kept hitting my knees when I turned:newsmile100:.

Practice and Practice some more, we can never hone our skills enough, with the advanced course the Insurance companies some times will give you a better discount:D

Awareness is a huge topic and thats what will save our lives. Anyone can point it straight and go.

I am like many of the other riders on here. I grew up on bikes mostly dirt, but a few small street bikes too. I had over a 10 year span where I had not been on a bike, and I did not want to rent or borrow a bike to get my "M". I took the class, learned, and enjoyed it. The instructor was all over me b/c comming from dirt I was use to throwing knees out and standing, while I could get away with that on their little 250's, I can not imange doing that on my Fat Bob. End result, I think all should have to go through the course, whats the worst that will happen, you find new people to ride with, and you break a few bad habbits.

I've got almost the exact same story, streitm. Came from a dirt-riding background before I got my license, and I had to unlearn a few bad habits when I went through the BRC. Just completed the course about a month ago, and the training about situational awareness has already saved my life a couple times. (Side note: Just got my first ever M endorsement yesterday!! Passed the road test with flying colors, thanks again to the BRC.) I'd highly recommend the BRC to ANYONE on two wheels.

Back