free website stats program Baker DD7 Tranny | Harley Davidson Forums

Baker DD7 Tranny

craig Lee

Hey guys,
Anyone out there have a Baker DD7 Tranny installed and if so, results or thoughts. I understand and have read the opinions about the 7 speed, but looking for riders who currently have one installed.
As alway, Thanks.

OK Guys,
Ordered my Baker DD7 yesterday. Just got the tracking # and arrival date is Tuesday, June 1. My indie co. will install on Wednesday and will let you know if it is cracked up to what it is suppose to be.
It will go in my '08 SG with 43,000+ miles.
Until than or before. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Guys,
Ordered my Baker DD7 yesterday. Just got the tracking # and arrival date is Tuesday, June 1. My indie co. will install on Wednesday and will let you know if it is cracked up to what it is suppose to be.
It will go in my '08 SG with 43,000+ miles.
Until than or before. :)

Just wondered if your '08 SG is stock or ??? stage one? Cams like 255 are My next project...

Will you have Enough power for the new tranny 7? I don't know the ratio of the final drive?

sounds like you did the research and found it to be what you want and will work well?

I may consider one in the future also.. Thanks for any post replies on the new Box.. Hope it works well for you...

signed....BUBBIE

Just wondered if your '08 SG is stock or ??? stage one? Cams like 255 are My next project...

Will you have Enough power for the new tranny 7? I don't know the ratio of the final drive?

sounds like you did the research and found it to be what you want and will work well?

I may consider one in the future also.. Thanks for any post replies on the new Box.. Hope it works well for you...

signed....BUBBIE

V/H slippons with Stage 1. Gear ratio in 7th is 1:1 just like the 6th on stock.
Craig

signed....BUBBIE

Hi Bubbie. I think the DD7 has the same final drive as the DD6 and the Harley 6 speed. They just give you an extra gear to get to that final drive. More shifting LOL :D

Hi Bubbie. I think the DD7 has the same final drive as the DD6 and the Harley 6 speed. They just give you an extra gear to get to that final drive. More shifting LOL :D

Stay in the best power range: Many complain that the factory 1st gear is too tall and these bikes feel bogged-down at the stoplight. The DD7 has a shorter 1st gear for improved get-up-and-go.

Because of the shorter first gear and following gear ratios, testers report that the bike feels like motor work has been done. The shift quality is unheard of as well.

The Harley-Davidson factory 6-speed ratios are: 1st (3.34), 2nd (2.30), 3rd (1.71), 4th (1.41), 5th (1.18), 6th (1.00).

The Baker DD7 transmission will have the following ratios: 1st (3.76), 2nd (2.75), 3rd (2.06), 4th (1.55), 5th (1.27), 6th (1.10), 7th (1.00).

I will let the forum know.

Stay in the best power range: Many complain that the factory 1st gear is too tall and these bikes feel bogged-down at the stoplight. The DD7 has a shorter 1st gear for improved get-up-and-go.

Because of the shorter first gear and following gear ratios, testers report that the bike feels like motor work has been done. The shift quality is unheard of as well.

The Harley-Davidson factory 6-speed ratios are: 1st (3.34), 2nd (2.30), 3rd (1.71), 4th (1.41), 5th (1.18), 6th (1.00).

The Baker DD7 transmission will have the following ratios: 1st (3.76), 2nd (2.75), 3rd (2.06), 4th (1.55), 5th (1.27), 6th (1.10), 7th (1.00).

Are you doing this because your original transmission broke or just something you want to try?

Are you doing this because your original transmission broke or just something you want to try?

Problems with stock transmission with 43,000 miles. Check thread out under transmissions. (Gears Meshing)

Just picked up the bike this afternoon with the new DD7 installed. Chased Mz Bling around for about 80 miles and let me tell you, I'm digging it. Still a noticable clunk in 1st gear, but the gearing is incredible. I can do tight circles in first without riding the clutch and no bogging down. The smoothness and get up and go in each gear is a worth every penny. I'll know more as the miles are put on, but for tonight I'll sleep very well.
Look under the tranny section for Gear Meshing for the lowdown on the old transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a dd6 but know that feeling coming from a well worn 5 speed
Had my DD6 put in at Sturgis last year and when bike was done went for a blast through the canyon and then to Deadwood. WOW i was impressed. Still am. Shifts great . Love extra gear. Just feel was well worth the money. For me. My 2 cents:guitar

Problems with stock transmission with 43,000 miles. Check thread out under transmissions. (Gears Meshing)

Just picked up the bike this afternoon with the new DD7 installed. Chased Mz Bling around for about 80 miles and let me tell you, I'm digging it. Still a noticable clunk in 1st gear, but the gearing is incredible. I can do tight circles in first without riding the clutch and no bogging down. The smoothness and get up and go in each gear is a worth every penny. I'll know more as the miles are put on, but for tonight I'll sleep very well.
Look under the tranny section for Gear Meshing for the lowdown on the old transmission.

So this 7 speed gear box is a direct bolt in swap without any machine work?
That 1st gear ratio sounds like the ticket. Do you now need a special drive belt that HD dealerships don't carry? What I like best is keeping the Harley sound (clank) because I would not want a quiet gear box. If I may ask, what was turn key cost.
Tks

Back