free website stats program Baffled by Charging Issue | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Baffled by Charging Issue

You are right Tbones, it is an alternator and it runs up to 15v at the battery and then drops off and comes back up again every few seconds, that was until I found a melted wire behind the rear pipe. I have found another short and fixed that and now it is making a constant 12v at the battery at idle and as you increase the revs the charge drops away!! I don't have any lights on other that the neutral light when this is happening...... Lost in the world of electric-trickery

Unplug the voltage reg and check for continuity from one of the sides of the plug coming from the stator touch the other lead to the engine case, bet your going to find a dead short in the stator.

Gentlemen Thank you for your input and advice. I found that the wire going to the battery had a break in it inside the covering and only found it by moving it while running a continuity test through it...man that was a brain-ache. Charging at 13.6v at idle and 15v at 2000 rpm, so it looks like the problem is solved. Going to do a complete rewire when I can take the old girl off the road. thanks again guys

Gentlemen Thank you for your input and advice. I found that the wire going to the battery had a break in it inside the covering and only found it by moving it while running a continuity test through it...man that was a brain-ache. Charging at 13.6v at idle and 15v at 2000 rpm, so it looks like the problem is solved. Going to do a complete rewire when I can take the old girl off the road. thanks again guys

Good job, 12 volts at idle would never keep the battery charged and lead to more problems, glad you got it sorted out:s

Back