free website stats program Baffled by Charging Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Baffled by Charging Issue

The Pict

I am running an 86 FX 22amp alternator and it has decided to intermittently charge. 15v at the battery for a few seconds and then 4.5v at the battery and a misfire sets in, i have changed the reg/rec for one taken from a running bike to see if it makes a difference. I am running a Primo 3 inch open belt primary. I have done some of the tests laid out in the tech help and all seems right. can anyone help??

the battery is only a few weeks old and everything was running fine until the weekend and this set in. I think it must be a short somewhere but that may be wishful thinking.

how do i load test a battery, electrics are not my thing

Give the battery a full charge and take it to an auto parts store in your area like autozone etc and they will do it for free usually. If it's a battery problem, it could be internally shorting out.

It's possibly that you have a wire grounding out too from what you describe causing the deflection in voltage.

Thanks Glider, i will look at the wiring for a short first as it is a mess. We don't have people who do load tests on batteries here in the dis-united kingdom of thieves, they just want to sell you a new one!!

I hear ya there. Very common problem with some stores.

I think with that swing in the voltage you'll probably find a bare wire, look up around the neck on the inside of the harness. The constant rubbing when turning the bars can cause a bare wire there sometimes.

Also don't know your wiring on that rigid but the harness from the voltage regulator also has problems chafing on the bracket underneath near the regulator. Look there too for a bared wire.

Check all your grounds, pay attention to the motor grounding at the frame, too many times a ground can cause a system to run wild:s

I am running a Paugho Rigid with a 96inch Evo motor and almost no wires other than lights and ignition, kick only no starter motor or turn signals so shouldn't take long!! :D

I am running a Paugho Rigid with a 96inch Evo motor and almost no wires other than lights and ignition, kick only no starter motor or turn signals so shouldn't take long!! :D

Good Luck and let us know what you find:s Welcome to The Forum:woe

Cheers Guy's, I will let you know how big a hammer I hit it with when I finally lose patience with the thing.....:s

Back