free website stats program bad rear tire mileage | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

bad rear tire mileage

I have an 03 Ultra. I have always run stock HD Dunlops. I can never get more than 8000-10,000 miles from a rear tire. I don't do burn outs or abuse them in anyway. I am not packing a bunch of gear and we are not large people. Most of my riding is done solo(back and forth to work). I put on around 14,000 a year and I have about 69,000 miles on my bike. 2 rear tires a year is terrible!. I have the tires mounted on the rims and then install the wheel and tire myself as I have for the past 35 years. The wheel runs true and swing arm bushings are good. I read about people getting 16,000 on a rear tire. What am I doing wrong???

Check this out:

Adjuster cam on baggers with this system - Harley Davidson Community

The consequence to a bad rear tire alignment will include lower tire wear mileage.

TQ

In order to get really "high" mileage numbers from a Harley tire you are going to have to own a 2009 or higher model year. That was when they started to use the Dunlop dual compound tires on the rear (as in D407). I have replaced two of them and both had 25,000 miles on them. Fronts are getting 33-35,000 miles. I replace when they get down to 2/32" on the tread.

I have an 08 Road King with stock wheels and have 15,000 miles on the rear E3. The tread depth shows 50% wear. So far so good. I got 15,000 miles each out of 2 different D402s before I tried the E3.

In order to get really "high" mileage numbers from a Harley tire you are going to have to own a 2009 or higher model year. That was when they started to use the Dunlop dual compound tires on the rear (as in D407). I have replaced two of them and both had 25,000 miles on them. Fronts are getting 33-35,000 miles. I replace when they get down to 2/32" on the tread.

I wouldn't think that you have to have a 09 or later model to get real good mileage out of the tires. My 08 with Dunlop D402 tires get 16,000 miles on the rear consistently and it still has tread on it and I get 32,000 on the front tire and it still has plenty of tread left on it. I don't take my tires down to the point that it is bald but at 16,000 miles the rear tire is starting to get square.

I have had Dunlops on several bikes, the latest being an '06 Ultra, and have averaged 8-12K depending on the weight of the bike. The Ultra averages about 10K.

On my '10 ultra with the new frame stock rear dunlop went 11,250 miles and it was totally wore out, should have changed it at 10.000 but was on a trip. Next I tried a Avon Cobra, lasted 9000 miles and was totall bald at that milage. Now I am trying a Metzeler ME880 and by my calculations of by the rate it's wearing it will only go 7500 miles.
I wanted to try a Michelin Commander 2 but the supplier I use is out of stock so I am going with a Dunlop american Elite, I need a tire that will easily last 10,000 + miles as I have a trip planned at the end of August that will be 10,000 or more. Stock Dunlop would do the trick but the price for a tire though a dealer here in Canada is atrocious!

I always marvel at the mileage difference the same tires on the same models get (assuming reported #'s are accurate). I am always towards the lower end of tire mileage reports. I guess I'm not as conservative a rider as I think, tho' my gas mileage is near the higher end of average. I wonder how much our local highway substrates differ and affects tire wear?

I always marvel at the mileage difference the same tires on the same models get (assuming reported #'s are accurate). I am always towards the lower end of tire mileage reports. I guess I'm not as conservative a rider as I think, tho' my gas mileage is near the higher end of average. I wonder how much our local highway substrates differ and affects tire wear?

Great point. Temperature also being a major factor.

I have 14500 miles on my original tire. I have a 2010 limited going to change it now due to cupping otherwise could probably get another 2 to 3 thousand miles out of it.

Back