free website stats program bad rear tire mileage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

bad rear tire mileage

When I had my 07 E Glide, 8-10K was all I could get out of the stock Dunlop tire.

HD redesigned the frame/suspension on the touring bikes in 2009, and with the new Dunlop on those models, you can a lot more miles out of the rear tire. I just changed mine at 15K, could have gotten at least another 2500 out of it, but didn't want to push it since I was doing a 3000+ mile road trip.

Something I forget when talking tire mileage on Electra Glides, is the changes made in 2009 to the wider rear tire, and the tire model # changed too, so the compound is more than likely different.

7K to 10K on my, may she RIP RK. Only have 3K on my new Ultra, but don't expect mileage to be much different. Thinking I will try something other than a Dunlap when the time comes. Will say, two up riding tends to have a negative affect.

Don't recommend you let her get to bald. That loose rear end in rain is not a good feeling, don't ask me how I know that... :small3d031:

10k on a dunlop is about right, The MoCo puts the 402's on but the Dunlop 404 is the same tire it just doesnt say Harley on it, same tread same compound. Also just because a road is paved doesnt mean it is actually smooth. The older the blacktop gets the rougher it is, in my area we have many roads with old pavement no potholes , just worn asphalt.

I will echo what most have been saying here. I ride an '07 Ultra with 92k on the clock. My previous ride was an 86 Classic that I put 100k on. The OE Dunlops were good for about 8-10k. Metzler ME880s roughly the same. Dunlop Elite IIIs maybe a little better. Going to mount a Michelin Commander II this weekend. Sounds like my riding style is very similar to yours. I have a 90 mile round trip commute to work.

meant to add that te Dunlop 404 is substainuly less money than the factory 402. Also if you are interested in buying american then I hear the Dunlops or the only american made motorcycle tire out there, maybe someone else can verify that ?

Both of the Dunlops D402 and D404have the same speed rating of 130MPH.
Difference is in Weight rating,D402 has 827lbs.,D404 has 677lbs. These are on the Rear tires,per Drag Specialties book.I ran the 402's on my earlier dressers but run the 404's on my Hard Tail(lighter bike).
tourbox

I have an 03 Ultra. I have always run stock HD Dunlops. I can never get more than 8000-10,000 miles from a rear tire. I don't do burn outs or abuse them in anyway. I am not packing a bunch of gear and we are not large people. Most of my riding is done solo(back and forth to work). I put on around 14,000 a year and I have about 69,000 miles on my bike. 2 rear tires a year is terrible!. I have the tires mounted on the rims and then install the wheel and tire myself as I have for the past 35 years. The wheel runs true and swing arm bushings are good. I read about people getting 16,000 on a rear tire. What am I doing wrong???

Like you I have the same bike and same tires as you and average around 10k to 11k on the rear tire. 98 percent of the time I am riding 2 up. I also run 40 psi in the rear tire. I consider his real good mileage. My friend rides a metric bike with shaft drive and he only gets around 7K out of his rear tire (Dunlop). He also rides 2 up. His bike is a lot lighter than my 03 classic and he thinks he should get the same tire mileage as mine. I am pleased with the tire mileage i get. Just my 2 cents

10-12 k on a stock dunlop seems about average to me, I don't like surprises

I have a 99 electra glide and get 12,000-13,000± miles out of a stock Dunlop, but at that mileage there is not a lot of tread left.:small3d031:

Back