free website stats program Bad Day; Lost My '07 RoadKing In a Freeway Wreck! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Day; Lost My '07 RoadKing In a Freeway Wreck!

Rod does your insurance have a clause that covers machine if another licensed driver is riding your bike?

First, sorry to hear about your buddy and bike, sounds like a very close call for him.
Does he have insurance that covers him no matter the vehicle, a lot of insurances cover this.

First, sorry to hear about your buddy and bike, sounds like a very close call for him.
Does he have insurance that covers him no matter the vehicle, a lot of insurances cover this.
As a matter of fact he did mention a while before the accident that he carries umbrella insurance to cover this sort of thing, so chances are he will be able to make a claim to either repair or replace the bike. Time will tell, its a little early to ask awkward questions like that I think. ;)
Our friendship will survive no matter what though. It is way more valuable than any worries about a trashed bike.

As a matter of fact he did mention a while before the accident that he carries umbrella insurance to cover this sort of thing, so chances are he will be able to make a claim to either repair or replace the bike. Time will tell, its a little early to ask awkward questions like that I think. ;)
Our friendship will survive no matter what though. It is way more valuable than any worries about a trashed bike.

Here's my take on this, if I borrowed a friends scoot and crashed it, as soon as I could dial a phone i'd be calling my insurance agent and make it right with the owner.

Good to know that your friendship won't suffer over this, hopefully your friend will step up to the plate and make this right for you. Good luck.

Rod, I am glad your Buddy is OK, maybe now with the insurance you can upgrade to a newer bike and not have the problems you were with your 07

Sorry to hear about the wreck. What a drag. He's lucky he didn't break anything. Hope his ins covers your loss. I can sure relate to all this. I know there's a lot of caring and thoughtful members on this forum sending good vibes!

Just got the repair estimate back. $16,300. No big surprise there. So she is a writeoff for sure.
Includes a complete new frame ($2600 alone), so it would basically be a complete rebuild.
Parts list is 2 pages long.
Bye-bye RoadKing! :(
The good news is my long time buddy is home now and recovering nicely!

Just got the repair estimate back. $16,300. No big surprise there. So she is a writeoff for sure.
Includes a complete new frame ($2600 alone), so it would basically be a complete rebuild.
Parts list is 2 pages long.
Bye-bye RoadKing! :(
The good news is my long time buddy is home now and recovering nicely!

I think the number is if the repairs reach 75% of the value of the damaged vehicle most insurance companies consider it a total loss. An 07 Road KIngs value is nowhere near $16,300 so as you said Bye-bye.:(

Hopefully your friends insurance will step up and get you back in the saddle again.

Last edited:
UPDATE!
Well a few months have gone by and my buddy has pretty well recovered completely. He was using crutches and then a cane for quite a while, but he is walking on his own now. Says the pain is still bad at times, but overall OK. Life goes on.
Meanwhile my wife and I did a few local bike trips this last summer back home, but I have to admit the old carefree open road enthusiasm just isn't there.
We have been negotiating with my buddies insurance company since late summer regarding payout of the loss. His policy does indeed cover any motor vehicle anywhere, whether rented or borrowed. Of course they have been bending over sideways to see how they can wriggle out of any payment, but I think we have them convinced it is legitimate. To establish a value I pulled a Kelley blue book of $11,600 for the year and mileage (21K), and then added up the value of all parts and accessories added onto the bike, including estimated installed costs for items that would be typically dealer installed (Like the big bore kit for instance).
The total for all this including 9.2% Phoenix sales tax is just over $22K.
I have told them that I would consider $15,500 plus sales tax as a reasonable payout, since that is about what I would expect to have to pay a dealer for a similarly equipped low mileage replacement. Negotiations continue!
My buddy has said all along that he is happy to write me a check for a replacement bike, but I don't need a bike in Phoenix until we get there late December, so I figure just to pressure the insurance company to write a check by then. My buddy is a retired lawyer, so he knows exactly how to get a slow moving insurance companies attention.
Time will tell where we wind up I guess.

Merry Christmas all,
Rod

Thanks for the update on your friend and the related insurance fiasco. Hope it works out soon,
You might want to start talking about rental coverage until they come to an agreement. Could speed up the process.

Best of luck to you with the insurance. ;) I'm really glad your buddy is mending well too!

Back