free website stats program Back Support | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Back Support

Just trying to think from all angles here:

If you have a "bad back" remember that using a belt may help, but any support has the risk of weakening the muscles that you would normally use for support. Perhaps (if you are able) some strengthening and stretching exercises in an consistant routine will add benefit as well?

Also, men have the likelihood of carrying a "spare tire". Not saying you do, but it is something to think about. Many women suffer from lower back pain during pregnancy and there is no reason to think that a few extra pounds over years, compiled with the aging process wouldn't do the same.

Finally, is the discomfort muscle, nerve or both? Compared to what is communal knowledge, "sitting up straight" or having what people call "good posture" is really hokey in my opinion. Use common sense, but if your body is used to certain positions from genetics or physical history, significantly changing that position to what you "think" it should be could cause more problems. An extreme example of this was my grandmother. She had a knee replacement. Problem was it corrected her knee. Now her back, hip and other knee was out of alignment and caused many other issues. She would have been better off dealing the knee as it was.

Anyway, just some thoughts. A back support sounds like it would be the most bang for the buck.

I remember in days gone by, the elders used to speak of the kidney belt, and said it did wonders for the lower back. I'm not sure where to buy one, but it sounds like a good option.

See my post above. This is an updated version of the old leather kidney belt. Yes it does work well.

Here in the UK most motorcycle shops carry some kidney belts in their clothing area i often wear one on longer journeys mine has a removable quilted pad to help keep the lower back muscles warm on colder days

Brian

I am looking at the kidney belts but cant seem to find one with an integrated holster............................:D

Bodeen

Just trying to think from all angles here:

If you have a "bad back" remember that using a belt may help, but any support has the risk of weakening the muscles that you would normally use for support. Perhaps (if you are able) some strengthening and stretching exercises in an consistant routine will add benefit as well?

Also, men have the likelihood of carrying a "spare tire". Not saying you do, but it is something to think about. Many women suffer from lower back pain during pregnancy and there is no reason to think that a few extra pounds over years, compiled with the aging process wouldn't do the same.

Finally, is the discomfort muscle, nerve or both? Compared to what is communal knowledge, "sitting up straight" or having what people call "good posture" is really hokey in my opinion. Use common sense, but if your body is used to certain positions from genetics or physical history, significantly changing that position to what you "think" it should be could cause more problems. An extreme example of this was my grandmother. She had a knee replacement. Problem was it corrected her knee. Now her back, hip and other knee was out of alignment and caused many other issues. She would have been better off dealing the knee as it was.

Anyway, just some thoughts. A back support sounds like it would be the most bang for the buck.

Very good advice here Porter, thats exactly what my DR ordered for me more floor excercises to strengthen the rest of the muscles:s

After 20+ years of climbing poles for the cable company my back is in rough shape. I picked up a back support belt Here it has been the best thing for the long rides. No more lower back ache after an hour. I can ride all day wearing one of these. It is stiff enough to really support my back and help correct the slouch that seems to set in after a while.

I occasionally wear my work belt if I expect to be in the saddle for a longer time. It really helps! The one I purchased to 'help out' at work is about 8-9 inches wide and has a degree of elasticity to it, and there are two more (slightly narrower) elastic straps that are stretched around to give even more support. It all attaches with Velcro and it TOTALLY adjustable for a little support to a real tight band of strength. The nice thing is it is thin enough to be worn under a tee shirt and not be real noticible. This particular unit even has suspenders to help keep it in place. It was about $15 at the local building center and a good investment for work AND play.

Back