free website stats program Back Support | Harley Davidson Forums

Back Support

Hognewbie

I was in a few accidents when I was younger and really jacked up my back, so when I ride I have a really bad habit of slouching in the saddle. So needless to say after 60-100 miles my back is really killing me.

Does anyone out there use or know of a nice strong comfortable back support designed for motorcyclists.

May be a bit expensive, but changing bar position is a no cost option, but provides the best benefit. Are your current bars rolled back - as close and down to you as possible (without hitting tank or other bits when turned lock to lock?

Make sure your foot and hand positions and controls are adjusted to you properly. You should be able to close your eyes, (have a helper hold the bike upright) and reach naturally all the controls without cramping and no stress in shins or calves, your back reasonably straight and tall...no slouch, most weight on your buns, seat slope level and if stepped supports lower tail bone.

The other thing is seat contour or back rest...(modified seat w/ backrest mount is expensive). Also may want to try kidney belt, they come in various styles made out of leather, ballistic nylon and such for lifting weights, but key is one that you will wear and store easily.

Last edited:
Cut & paste error...could change it but sometimes entertainment is illiciting a response...GOT ya DOC:D Was thinking of balancing easiest and cost...the ink just flowed out...:newsmile082:

Have you tried using a back support belt? they offer some comfort tho they can be a bit hot at times

After 20+ years of climbing poles for the cable company my back is in rough shape. I picked up a back support belt Here it has been the best thing for the long rides. No more lower back ache after an hour. I can ride all day wearing one of these. It is stiff enough to really support my back and help correct the slouch that seems to set in after a while.

I have a friend that has major back problems.....switched form mini pull back bars to mini ape hangers and the elevated bars force her to sit up straighter.....worked for her anyway!

I remember in days gone by, the elders used to speak of the kidney belt, and said it did wonders for the lower back. I'm not sure where to buy one, but it sounds like a good option.

Back