free website stats program Awesome slow speed controle from a 15y old girl | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Awesome slow speed controle from a 15y old girl

If a 15 year old girl can do it that well, I think that it is time to go out and get a new set of orange cones and do a little practice myself. You never know when better skills will help you out of a tight place.

Gator454

I guess by popular demand: This is the guy`s youtube channel

YouTube - motorman857's Channel

you can look at plenty of videos there, pretty nice stuff.

makes me wish the cold was over and the salt off the roads so that I can go practicing my slow riding again!

Take care,

Looking at this clip, I think this girl Steph has had four hours TRAINING with Palladino not necessarily only riding a motorbike for four hours. Either way she could outmanoeuvre me anyday - but then life teaches that most women can lol.

We were doing this kinda stuff in the Fl certification program, but we were riding school bikes, like 125cc Honda's... much smaller and more importantly, wasn't my bike :laugh

I know it's never too late. But, it's better to learn while young. At my age, too much fear and think too complicated. This will be my third season of riding, and I doubt I can do what this young girl is doing. Agreed that got to do some warm ups when the season starts.
My uncle works at Harley and had my cousin and I on bikes (old Harley AMF 90) at age 10. Started with the simplest stop and go drills, and worked our way up. His attention to detail, and the "ride smooth and speed will follow" mentality made us great riders. Thanks to all of those that have taken the time to bring up young riders, the more safe riders out there the more fun we all have. It takes a lot of patience, but I know that the skills he taught us have saved my tail on more than a few occassions!

I look forward to bringing my kids on board once we have some ;-).

Since getting back on a motorcycle and buying my bikes over the last year and half or so, I have seen my older son (15) develop an interest in Harleys and an ambition to have a bike in a few years. My younger son (14) is not so interested and like Richard's boy is into his bass guitar, drums and piano. I feel glad my older boy is liking Harleys though whether its a phase thing, because "dad loves 'em therefore I will" I'm not sure. I would love for him to derive the same joy and pleasure from riding that I do BUT even moreso, I would want him to be safe, and to take every measure possible to avoid injury or death.
I've loved adventure and outdoor activity all my life, from skiing to rugby to weeks out bush in croc infested remote parts of Australia. For me some "risk" gives life and buzz to whatever I'm doing. For those who care about me, my buzz is their worry so I have to think about them as well as myself and not do anything too dumb for the sake of thrill.
I guess what I'm saying Richard is that I understand where you are coming from but we are surrounded by risk in life and it's part of living so as long as my boy is responsible and takes the time to learn properly I'll support him if he wants to ride. I won't let him do it otherwise. I don't think for a second there is any hypocrisy at play here on your part - you're a man who loves his kids and wants to protect them and we all know motorcycling can be a dangerous game. You're probably in the same zone as me in that you're happy to take the risk because you worry less about youself than you do about your wife and kids. An old prof of mine used to say "we judge others by their achievements and ourselves by our intentions" and its kind of like that with your concerns about your safety when you get on a bike and how you feel about your son doing it....
My boy and I have talked about holidaying in the US in the future and renting some Harleys to see some of your beautiful national parks. Maybe I'm selfish but that's a daydream I love to spend time in.:s

Re: Awesome slow speed control from a 15y old girl

VERY impressive! But as a dad, all I could think while watching was, "OMG, girl, please don't get hurt!"

A couple of years ago I bought a bike strictly for re-sale, as I recall it was a Kaw 1500 something....not a bagger, looked more like a big dyna...anyway, my middle son, who was 19 at the time, asked me if I thought maybe he could have it and learn to ride.

I told him yes, but he'd have to take a Rider Safety Course and then ride with me for MONTHS before I'd let him ride out the driveway on his own.

The next morning he came to me and told me he had slept on it and had changed his mind, and in the last couple years, I have asked him if he ever wanted to reconsider that decision and he has consistently said "No.".

Am I am a hypocrite for being IMMENSELY relieved that he doesn't want to learn to ride, even if it was the threat of me being his shadow for months that had done it?

I know it sounds awful, coming from a Mod on this forum, and from a rider of 40+ years, but I sleep better at night knowing my two older boys don't want to ride, and my youngest has shown an interest, but not enough to warrant any encouragement, so I'm hoping it's a passing fancy like many other things he talked about but quickly forgot about (skateboarding, surfing, etc)

Am I wrong that I'm so happy that he's very content with taking piano and guitar lessons, (and doing VERY well at both), and not into contact sports or riding, as I was when that age? (he just turned 12)

I'm just thinking out loud here guys, I guess because of this thread's video.......do any of the dads out there feel the way I do??

Not quite the same as we don't have youngins' yet, but I remember having the same feeling of "my god I hope that idea passes" when soon after I got my license, my baby sister (who is 6 years younger than me) wanted to learn to ride as well, so we could go out and ride together..

I love her and want her to have all the fun in the world, but at that time she was obsessed with the Y-R1, and knowing her temperament I was scared senseless (forum rules on language apply :s) that she would have an accident.

Ever since I started riding motorcycle I'm obsessed with road / vehicle safety and figuring out all possible angles of things which seem to be out to get me :)

Knowing the stupid thing I have done on the road in the past, and stuff I had to learn with experience, I fully understand your concern for your sons!

Take care,

My wife rides and I also have some of these same concerns, but at the same time she took the course and drives and handles the bike very good, by the way she rides an ultra, In the beginning had I said no to her riding by herself I think that would have been a mistake we have logged many trips and miles together and its great always having someone to ride with, though Ill always be concerned with her safety I think thats only natural, getting back to what Richard was talking about I dont think its hypocritical to be worried about your sons, daughters ,or wifes, to be riding I think its only natural, I think it would be hypocrytycal only if you would have said no, I think its great you offered them the education and tools to make them as safe a driver as possible and gave them the opportunity to say yes or no to riding.

Back