free website stats program Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment

When i rode my bike back to washington from oregon, It made a lot of noise and I did the tighten procedure and it did QUIET the noise I was hearing.. SO it does work..

This might be an Old thread but it is still Gliders Thread..

I knew He'd come back, You can't keep the one Who Made this site what it is today, AWAY.....:D

signed....BUBBIE

2008 ultra clasic bought used july 2010 , 22,000mil. . half way to Stugis it got that noise , evrywere I stop they said I'd make it home ( compensater )they said. well I made it but had to take it in twice before they rebuilt the trans .... still hear somthing, so gona try your trick tomale ... still under warantee or I'd a had it allover the driveway by know ??? this is my fourth scoot , first time ever taking any thing to a shop ..

thanks for the info , seemed to help , can't find anything in the manaul , about this ..
Felt like gear lash, also put 85-140 syn in the trans , much smoother...

thanks again ;)

Tried this on my 09 Road King..... Didn't change anything :(

Felt kind of weird doin it with the ABS. Gonna try it again....sound is driving my nuts. Had a HD service rep listen to it while I was kicking around the dealership, but without a load on the primary chain, it's barely discernible to the ear. He said it sounded fine....Never got a hint of this on my 04 Fatboy!

Wish me luck...!

Your 04 FB had a different chain adjusting mechanism (old style non self adjustable). You will get some chain noise even when everything is adjusted correctly.

Mr. Data,

Would you recommend converting the earlier manual adjustable tensioners to the automatic type and do you know if its possible?

Mr. Data,

Would you recommend converting the earlier manual adjustable tensioners to the automatic type and do you know if its possible?

It is possible to retrofit as dbmg posted the link but I would prefer the older manual adjuster myself. Less chance of malfunction and it doesn't keep the chain as tight either which IMO is a good thing.

Back