free website stats program Are there larger fuel tanks for sportsters? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Are there larger fuel tanks for sportsters?

When it is that cold what weight engine oil do you use. 0 to 5 degree f

Not sure I usually have the dealer change my oil in spring and again in the fall. Will give them a call and let you know. I know for the spring thru fall I run HD Syn3 20-50.

The 883 was advertised as getting close to 60 mile to gallon when I bought my 1200 custom. Thought about the 883 but it felt underpowered when I test drove it. Too much throttle, you have not driven on Irish roads.. My mother-in-laws corrolla with the 1.4 liter, 5 speed tranny gets better gas milage then my bike. As for me I stand 5'8'' and approx 210lbs. Then you add riding gear and a backpack I sit about 220-230lbs and in the winter that will climb to 250-260... yep she is my daily ride. The only time is not ridden is IF there is actual ice on the roads. Last year I had her out when the temps were in the 0-5 degree F.

Fuel mileage depends how you ride...on my normally aspirated, slightly richened, carbed '04 Sportster...with straight pipes (with 1 3/4" with 12" baffles) all highway mileage...49 mpg best, a mixture of city and highway like on vacation around 45 mpg, only city and short trips to work, 35 mpg. So yes, 4.5 gals is most available stock...so you can do the math for expected range. EFI complicates things, as you would use a fueler to richen the mixture electronically, but still should be better than my carbed Sportster. May want to actually measure the A/F mixture and tracking. Then verify simple things like brakes not dragging, tires inflated slightly to the upper recommended range. Then do the mod to a custom or 5 gallon tank from a Dyna or Bagger...good luck with what you decide.:newsmile071:

Fuel mileage depends how you ride...on my normally aspirated, slightly richened, carbed '04 Sportster...with straight pipes (with 1 3/4" with 12" baffles) all highway mileage...49 mpg best, a mixture of city and highway like on vacation around 45 mpg, only city and short trips to work, 35 mpg. So yes, 4.5 gals is most available stock...so you can do the math for expected range. EFI complicates things, as you would use a fueler to richen the mixture electronically, but still should be better than my carbed Sportster. May want to actually measure the A/F mixture and tracking. Then verify simple things like brakes not dragging, tires inflated slightly to the upper recommended range. Then do the mod to a custom or 5 gallon tank from a Dyna or Bagger...good luck with what you decide.:newsmile071:

35 MPG x 4.5 gallons of tank = 157.5 miles. Hummmm :small3d019:

Is it possible you have the 3.3 tank in your bike'.:dknow

35 MPG x 3.3 Gallons of tank = 115.5 miles...

Low fuel light out at 90 miles which is about 26 miles left... Close enough!

Your might be right!!! :bigsmiley23:

Last edited by a moderator:
That would sound right if the tank only held 3.3 gallons. From bone dry I can put 4.5 gallons in her. Will just have to suck it up while researching options.

On my 1200C I get 150 miles NP! I just did 179 on 3.7 gal the other day I got res 3.5 gal then went another .2 gal filled up an was back in the road!

I would check ur tank! You should be able to go farther than that on a 4.5 your mpg seems aweful low?

Wow, 4.5 gallon tank should get you close to 200 miles then look for gas. If you only get 130 miles, something is wrong. And you are sure you have the 4.5 gallon tank?

Back