free website stats program Are there larger fuel tanks for sportsters? | Harley Davidson Forums

Are there larger fuel tanks for sportsters?

cromwell

Ok was looking and did not find anything larger than the stock 4.5 gallon tank. Are there larger tanks avail? I am looking for something that would put me into the 150 mile per tank range. That way when I ride with the baggers and cruisers I can stop with them for fill ups instead of me having them stop for me to fill up.

Thanks

Tony

I wish. My stock Sportster maxes out at 130 Miles per tank and then I am walking. Since the day I bought it it has NEVER gotten over that usually less. The low fuel line usually comes on at around the 90 mile mark and I usually have a gallon left. I have measured it mulitiple times and the max I have gotten is 130 mile to the tank. Bike was bought new in Florida and spent its first year there then I moved here. Thought it was a fuel thing switching from a high octane to the low standard octane here but nope still get the same milage.

Wow,my 1200 gets 50 on the highway easy.
I do not remember seeing any tanks bigger than 4.5,you could have it cut and
widened but you know what you get into doing that.

As 4.5 us gallon is around 17 litres i would expect on any of my bikes to be well over 150 miles before i ran out of fuel
However all my bikes are carbed bikes but your 29 mpg does seem a wee bit excessive fuel consumption
Perhaps a look at the tuning of the bike would be the best way to get extra miles per tank

Brian

What if any mods have been made to the bike?? I have a 2010 1200c with Stage one and get about 38 to the gallon and I ride it pretty hard when i can.

@ CoreyV my bike is bone stock.... As said it never got more then 130 mile per tank max. I do not ride it like I stole it. The only thing I can think of that is effecting my fuel range is me fully geared up I am sitting at approx 220 lbs.

I wish. My stock Sportster maxes out at 130 Miles per tank and then I am walking. Since the day I bought it it has NEVER gotten over that usually less. The low fuel line usually comes on at around the 90 mile mark and I usually have a gallon left. I have measured it mulitiple times and the max I have gotten is 130 mile to the tank. Bike was bought new in Florida and spent its first year there then I moved here. Thought it was a fuel thing switching from a high octane to the low standard octane here but nope still get the same milage.

Geez! :small3d031:
My wife has 883 sportster superlow and maxes out alittle over 200 miles. The low fuel light comes out approximately 150 miles. Something is wrong... Too rich? too much throttle? :eam:small3d002:

Geez! :small3d031:
My wife has 883 sportster superlow and maxes out alittle over 200 miles. The low fuel light comes out approximately 150 miles. Something is wrong... Too rich? too much throttle? :eam:small3d002:

The 883 was advertised as getting close to 60 mile to gallon when I bought my 1200 custom. Thought about the 883 but it felt underpowered when I test drove it. Too much throttle, you have not driven on Irish roads.. My mother-in-laws corrolla with the 1.4 liter, 5 speed tranny gets better gas milage then my bike. As for me I stand 5'8'' and approx 210lbs. Then you add riding gear and a backpack I sit about 220-230lbs and in the winter that will climb to 250-260... yep she is my daily ride. The only time is not ridden is IF there is actual ice on the roads. Last year I had her out when the temps were in the 0-5 degree F.

Back