free website stats program are the 2009 streetglides that much better | Harley Davidson Forums

are the 2009 streetglides that much better

JJDH

greetings. new to this forim, also harley all together. have a question. i am looking at the streetglides. i can get an 06 for 5k less than an 09. i can get an 07 for about3k less than 09. first from the 88ci, to the 96ci, is that a huge jump? then for the wider tire in the back of 09, is that a huge difference in handling? i ride aggressive, is the wider tire gonna be better in the corners?
i am retiring from the sportbike scene, so i am still a speed junky. i have been at the dealerships a bunch the past two weeks. cant seem to decide what to do.. also what can i expect to, or any advice on what to offer dealer for prices, the 09 is 20260 after their bogus prep fee for putting the bike together. that is for a black,w cruise.. everything else standard

Yes the TC96 will be noticeably stronger than the 88 - not a whole bunch but enough.

If the 09 you're looking at is new it will have the factory warranty. Do the others come with an extended warranty? Also think about all the extras you will be paying to add to a new 09 that may already be on the older, used bikes. It can really add up!

Wider rear tire should actually negativelt affect turning performance but you probably won't notice the difference on an 800 pound touring bike!

Get several local dealers competing for your business. You should be able to get the fees dropped or get a pretty good gift card or P&A discount included with your purchase of a new bike.

appreciate the responses, basically the 07 or 08 would be just as good then, at least they have the bigger motor. i can get an 06 for 14999..add 1k for tax, and thats it. as it stands the closest shops wont give me their best price on an 09 unless i am ready to sign, they dont want me to take their number to a competitor and get it cut, they flat out told me that. the 06 ive been lookin at has 12k miles on it, i like the idea of the bigger engine. if they would waive their prep (EDIT), i would feel better for the 09.
do the 07, 08 handle well? they are really pushin the frame change, and wider tire

Last edited by a moderator:
appreciate the responses, basically the 07 or 08 would be just as good then, at least they have the bigger motor. i can get an 06 for 14999..add 1k for tax, and thats it. as it stands the closest shops wont give me their best price on an 09 unless i am ready to sign, they dont want me to take their number to a competitor and get it cut, they flat out told me that. the 06 ive been lookin at has 12k miles on it, i like the idea of the bigger engine. if they would waive their prep (EDIT), i would feel better for the 09.
do the 07, 08 handle well? they are really pushin the frame change, and wider tire

Just tell them how serious you are, that you are ready to sign, but you're not going to actually sign until YOU are ready, not them.

I have an 08 and I feel it handles great. I have never experienced the bagger wobble but then I don't ride like Hobbit!

have tested both an 05 and 08 i ended up with the 09 as it handled and rode better solo or 2 up and as many will tell you i do not ride slowly i have about 1/8" chicken strip on the tires of my Dyna and had scuffs on the side wall of my Buell.
the 05 had the bagger brace fitted so it did not do the bagger dance when pushed hard, the 08 felt as good as the 05 but i had the wife on the back of that so i was willing to get the boards down to see if it weaved or wobbled at speed, but the 09 just eclipsed them both for smooth power and handling and it has TQ to boot as it will out drag a car from 50 to 90 even with fully loaded bags and a trailer :D

do u mean the 06 felt as good as 08..... the 09 has more torque than all?

If you are looking at dealers, take a few for a spin and see the differences. I had an 08 before it was totalled due to a PITA cager. Now I am on an 09. Even the year, lots of improvements. Ride is smoother and no more wiggle in the turns....

i dot like turn wobbles. i am coming from a gsxr1000 that dynoed at 186rwhp

i will clarify early baggers when ridden spiritedly will enduce weave and wobble.
the 05 i test rode had a brace on the frame to stop the flexing and the movement of the motor - called a bagger brace, the motor was the 1450 (88")
the 08 did not have the brace yet felt as stable as the 05 with the brace but i was not able to push the limit as i had the wife on the back, the 1584 (96") was much better.
My 09 Ultra Glide has the new frame and the new tire and feels much better than either the 08 or 05 and the tq of the 09 1584 (96") motor due to the revised internals in the gear box and the motor being tuned for tq more so than the other ranges makes for effortless riding solo or 2 up
si ... when u speak of 05, which model are u refering to? i was under the impression that the streetglide started in 06.. like i mentioned earlier i am new to harley. i rented an 09 for the weekend, loved it..i demoed the 06 streetglide, they rode next to me, it was a 10 minute ride, so i wasnt able to ride properly, (or how i like to ride) so i could open it up a bit. so far the dealership experiences arent very pleasing..

With the pre-09 models, you will get a wobble in an uneven turn. The 09s with a different frame fixes the problem. There are fixes for the pre-09 models, but some work better than others from what I read.
are u talkin front wobbble ,or back tire wobble. i assume front

then buy the 09 simple as that, the earlier bike will give you the hebegebees if you give the beans in a fast sweeping corner as it feels like the bike is made from cheese and in 2 parts as the frame flexs at the swing arm pivot and starts the wobble, really unnerving i actually got my 09 to do it but it was due to my suspension and geometry alterations and is now back to rock solid abate 2" lower all round :D

the 05 was an Ultra Glide and i own a 09 Ultra Glide which is basically a fully loaded Street Glide.
the Street Glide is more stripped out racer style were as the Ultra is as it suggests all bells and whistles
i understand... it is basically stickershock that i have to get over

My 09 Road Glide is the first Harley that I've ever owned so I can't tell you how it compares to previous model Harleys. However, my neighbor has owned Harleys for years (dynas, springers, bobs, etc.) and he said that the 09 Road Glide that he bought a day after I bought mine is the best handling Harley he has ever ridden. I imagine that this would also apply to an 09 street glide since it has the same improvements as the 09 road glide.

i own a 2007 rk and when the 2009's came out with the new frame and everything i was gonna trade mine in until i rented one when i was out in vegas. Mind you i ride pretty conservatively but once in a while i get on it A LITTLE BIT and to tell you the truth i could not tell the difference save yourself some cash for all those little chrome goodies and by a 07

Back