free website stats program Are the '08 TC96's different? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Are the '08 TC96's different?

Zero issues with an '07 110" here. Have a friend with a 96" and no problems. Forums and communities are a magnet for problem reporting but typically not representative.

Not sure if I'm doing it right but depending on the speed and gear I keep usually keep the RPM's between 2500 and 2900 when touring. In conjestion or on steep slopes may stay in lower gears and go as high as 3500. On occassion do take her over 5000 now and then.

Glider,
Now I'm Wondering if I'm lugging my EG. It is 96 cu with Screamin' Eagle Harley Stage 1. I usually roll along in 4th gear at 40 mph on city streets. That equates to about 2,000 rpm. I'll go to 5th at 50 mph maintaining about the same rpm. 6th at 6o mph and above. Do I need to rethink my shifting and am I running the risk of damaging the bike?

Thanks,
Storm

Storm, low RPM's in higher gears it not a good thing to do and 2K is a bit low in the upper gears like you are doing. I always say, if in doubt, downshift. I feel a comfortable area is around 2500 myself as far as how low you can go in the upper gears.

Thanks for the info. That bike pulls like a tractor and it felt okay to have it rolling over a lower rpm. Guess I'll have to break myself of that habit. It will be interesting to see what this does to the gas mileage. I'll be turning more rpms for a given distance but it is possible that I'll actually use less throttle. Hmmmm....

Storm

Storm, low RPM's in higher gears it not a good thing to do and 2K is a bit low in the upper gears like you are doing. I always say, if in doubt, downshift. I feel a comfortable area is around 2500 myself as far as how low you can go in the upper gears.
Jeez, I think I need to practice......or at least pay some attention to what my bike is running. I have so many questions now, I don't know where to start. First I will go out and let you know what I think I'm doing. You guys are creating a motorcycle monster here, just so you know......:))

I have an 08 FLHT with a SE 110 top on it. I rode it in 100 degree heat last August when I bought it and have had no problems at all. Lugging anything isn't great on the equipment no matter how strong. Keep your R's in the power band and you'll be fine.

Back