free website stats program Are the '08 TC96's different? | Harley Davidson Forums

Are the '08 TC96's different?

rsneede

I've read here and other places about all kinds of trouble people have with the new engines overheating, surging, stuttering, etc. but my '08 runs perfectly so far. Granted, it's winter and the weather has been cold, but I have seen none of this. I've been riding a 1200R the last few years and the TC96 is noticeably slower, but other than that it's fine. Has Harley Davidson made changes to the '08s to address complaints or have I just gotten lucky?

No noted changes other than the 6 gallon tank, the IDS on the rear wheel and the drive by wire throttle. You could be the lucky one but wait till the hot weather to find out for sure.

I have heard rumor that the bigger bikes especially dont liked to be lugged down, causing them to overheat I was told to stay in a lower gear and run at a higher rpm, I dont have a big bike but it makes me nervous so I have doing that. I could be wrong, I am new to this and still learning.

I have heard rumor that the bigger bikes especially dont liked to be lugged down, causing them to overheat I was told to stay in a lower gear and run at a higher rpm, I dont have a big bike but it makes me nervous so I have doing that. I could be wrong, I am new to this and still learning.

NONE of the 96's like to be lugged. They have a slightly longer stroke and lugging them is very hard on the cranks (which aren't too strong to begin with). What you were told is very good advice.

So is the scraming eagle kit a good fix for this, or is there?

Lots of screamin eagle parts, which one??

The fix is to replace the crank with a better unit from one of the big manufacturers that are not pressed together for example S&S or Jims and a few others.

Usually only a problem if the bike is ridden hard or down shifted and power braked using the engine in a low gear like a missed shift. The 96 hasn't been too much of a problem with only a few with excessive crank runout but the bigger ones like the 110 in the CVO bikes seems to be more of a problem because of the additional power.

A model to model comparison shows nearly the same gearing of a 1200R and a FXD. If you ride the same with the FXD's TC96, as you did before (assuming cruising at 3,000 RPM) then you won't be lugging it. I always cruised at 3K, which was about 30 in 2nd, 40 in 3rd, 50 in 4th, 60+ in 5th on my Sporty. My FXD seems to really like those gear/speed combinations.

Back