free website stats program Appreciate your HD tech??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Appreciate your HD tech???

Good techs are a blessing.
If you could see some of the people being trained as techs at the school I'm attending to be HD certified, you'd begin to think about working on your own bike. In a class of 50 only 5 would I consider hiring as an employer, the rest are there because their parents are paying for their education. I am partnered with a young man who cannot comprehend what he is reading, use measuring tools, feeler gauges or simple hand tools. Yet there are older students who are there to be retrained and they want to learn, guys who work on their own bikes and want to start a shop and people like myself who want to expand their knowledge and branch out into other bikes. I spend time on these forums to learn from others and to share what I know.
When you find a good one, stay with them; you be there for them and they'll be there for you.

i agree in looking things up/posting on web forum as the best place to usually start...free and many different opinions/know how/tips available. Of course I usually work on my own stuff when possible...

dogdad,
You have a Good relationship as Many of the shops Don't get close to the customer..

I know in the old days I knew most of the mechanics at Down Town Harley when Carmin Tom owned it.....

Now I only know one parts man(rick h.) that has been there for many years, and a Top Guy, sales manager Gregg. and another Rick Tom (Carmins son)..

I have found Most shops Hide away their mechanics and you never get to know them.. Let alone Asking Questions.

You are among the lucky FEW who have someone that WILL help and give you Free information at the HD level,,,, And we here at HDTimeline.com will help at a drop of a Hat.. Just ASK. :newsmile075:

All ways to obtain Knowledge and Pass It On is a Needed thing...

signed....BUBBIE

The key is maintaining good relationships with people you ANTICIPATE will be working on your bike is just a good plan. If it happens and ends in a positive ending, that is a real plus and usually the start of something good. Have to say Parts and Accessories departments have been very good at my local HD Dealer...converse using 1st names, prompt and courteous. Service department experience 50-50, actually Troubleshooting/Repair I'm still waiting, they did pick up my bike for free, but tossed out parts I had put in place to protect and insulate critical areas, their troubleshooting was more shot gun then actual diagnostics. But their Routine service like Tire R&R was great...had me in and out in an hour at reasonable cost...so over all, my experiences have been fair to good...no 1st names, no mechanic found yet.

Last edited:
I do have a good relationship with the local indy that I gets tires and what parts I get locally from. And I have them change tires because I just don't want to. All the employees there try to know regular customers and take good care of them. Therefor I try to be a regular customer.

Back