free website stats program Anyone put a lift table in the ground? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone put a lift table in the ground?

Now why is that?
Inquiring minds want to know;)

Pits can collect oil, fuel, and coolent, so home inspectors may call for a soil contamination test on your dime, especially if it has a drain. Because gass fumes can collect in them the buyers may not be able to get insurance or financing. I have heard these things second hand, but they sound realistic to me, so I would not take the chance.

My buddy's lift is only 4-5" or so tall.... He's able to just pull his vehicles in right over the top of it, no issues. Do you just have low rider cages or something?

Pits can collect oil, fuel, and coolent, so home inspectors may call for a soil contamination test on your dime, especially if it has a drain. Because gass fumes can collect in them the buyers may not be able to get insurance or financing. I have heard these things second hand, but they sound realistic to me, so I would not take the chance.

May want to check with your insurance company and call a real estate agent just because, seems to me DR EVIL is right here, in some states pits are illegal in newer built homes and garages JMO

I would go ahead and put it in. Worry about selling when the time comes. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than get permission.

I saw a video last week (forget what for) of a shop that had done just that with their handy lifts recessed into the floor so the bike drives straght on - no ramp. But remember that if you plan to drive a car over it, there is still the wheel clamp to contend with unless it is removable.

Rather than just digging at pit...why not rent a concrete cutting saw and jack hammer and cut out a nice clean rectangle 6 inches wider in both directions, jack hammer the concrete out, dig your hole 4 to 6 inches deeper than you need it and pour a slab inside the hole, wait for it to dry and form and pour the sides. then its at least a nice professional looking install instead of a pit in the floor for fuel and oil to seep under your foundation or water to rise into the hole. if you leave the lift when you sell the house it could actually be a bonus selling feature for a gearhead such as yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
I would go ahead and put it in. Worry about selling when the time comes. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than get permission.

I like the way you think :sGeezer

I would go ahead and do it to; but that's me. I think the wet saw is the way to go as well.

I am in the process of building just that same thing and looking for input, I have almost 75% of the parts built and planning the install. Going to plant a 32x4 inch cylinder into the shop floor, haven't poured the concete floor yet so the top of the cyl will be at floor level and the deck will sit on the floor. I have a hydraulic emerpac that holds 10 liters of oil to power it. It should give me 26 inches of lift and second as a means of turning to bikes around in the shop. Still lots to build so any design features or suggestions appreciated.

Back