free website stats program Anyone Live in a Gated Community? | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone Live in a Gated Community?

ThunderRogue

We just moved into one. It's both good and bad. On the plus side, it's a nice place. Has a lake, golf course, tennis and other courts. I don't golf so that means little to me. Another plus is the heavy security. Not just anyone can get in. On the down side HOA Nazi's! Need I say more?
I'm still getting used to no fences and the closeness of neighbors having lived in the country.
But, here's my question to those of you that do: How do you ride your bike and whip out your magnetic Id card without having to fumble and stop and turn off your bike? I can't get neutral from 1st and there's a speed bump right at the scanner so I can't get neutral from 2nd like I usually do. So since I just got my card and have only done this twice I'm still trying to figure it out. I end up killing the motor in first, waving my wallet at the scanner, and then starting in 1st and heading in.
I'm tempted to put my card in my windshield bag and then while holding the clutch use my right hand and reach across. But I know I'll drop it or forget it in the bag.

How about one of the retractable key chains with a card pocket attached. Clip it close enough that the windshield bag is close enough to hold the card, then extend it to the reader. Still is a clutch hand maneuver though. Practice getting in neutral will help.

Well there's a couple good ideas! Breeze3at the zip card thingy may work. I can actually go from the windshield bag to the scanner with my right arm. Just reach across while still holding the clutch in. And it would eliminate my fear of dropping the card. My only concern now is would the cord be long enough. I used to wear one at work and it seems to me they are about an arms length. I'll have to try one.
Joel, I never thought of that! But I've only just got the card and been through the gate twice. I could try hitting neutral from 2nd and bounce over the speed bump and then roll back to the scanner. The problem would be the tailgaters. Some of them would be right on me thinking the arm is going to go up and then I'd have trouble rolling back.
One of the guards at the shack suggested one of those clear pass card holders on my arm. But I don't want to ride around with one of those on! Nor do I want to stop prior to getting there just to put it on. I suppose if you're a city commuter you'd have one in your jacket for the fast pass lane. I'm always working on one bike or the other and then I need to make a test ride. The LowRider doesn't have a windshield bag and with my luck I forget the card in the other bike! LOL!
Keep the ideas coming guys, I appreciate them.

A guard at the shack of a gated community, sounds like a compound, you have any alligators in the duck ponds, I hear the spiders are really big in the south.
But back to reality, what's causing the hard to find neutral?
For my bike it's been old fluid with a few too many miles on it.
Always seems to be better after a fluid change.

Yeah the guards and gates are a new thing for me. We just kinda fell into a rental here. Some say we're lucky. But there are days the line to get in is quite long. There is the one lane for members and then all others have to check in at the guard shack in the lane right next to the members lane. Problem is there's only one lane that turns into the two and it's a bottle neck. Test rides after working on something can be aggravating. The neutral issue has always been there and now it's a little worse with the new clutch. I have to be rolling a bit to get it. I just changed the fluid yesterday and adjusted the primary chain. So right now I really can't complain. It all works much better. But still all it takes is that one time you can't get neutral and then it's a hassle. I put my card in my windshield bag today and when I rolled up I grabbed it with my right hand and reached across. It worked.

Can't you just kill the engine , in first gear ,and start in first gear ?.
Getting in neutral , with engine killed is also easy to do !!.

Yes, I've done that. It just takes longer and I'm worried some idiot behind me is not going to stop. I just test rode the wife's '93 LowRider and that EVO makes me jealous. It shifts so nice and neutral from 1st is not a problem. At least for me. My wife complains. But that's about everything. LOL! JK. So the card reader is just past a good sized speed bump, but far enough away to not roll back to it to hold you. And it's on a slight incline so I have to hold a brake during whatever maneuver I use.

Hello mate, so the primary chain adjuster is most likely out of adjustment. who is doing your service work.? You may want to let them know at the next service your n issue. So if you have a newer bike like 17-18 and up you most likely have the auto adjuster it can get really tight if you really romp on it. so primary fluid and clutch adjustment should be set at every service. The adjustment only takes little time. hope it helps.

Back