free website stats program Anyone here ever trimmed a windshield? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone here ever trimmed a windshield?

I talked to a plastics shop about cutting down my wifes wind screen and they suggested to remove all the metal mounts and frame work, then warm it a bit in the sun or hair dryer then lay it out flat to work on it.
If I remove the metal they will cut it down for 30 bucks, too easy.

I ended up trimming mine, but it was because I am cheap! I was riding down the highway, and a truck passed me and threw a large rock, it took of a portion of the lower left windshield. I ended up cutting in a nice design with a dremmel, traced it and cut the same in the other side. When I sold it (it was a metric) to buy my FXDF the guy asked if it was a custom; I told him what happened and he was fine with it. I wnt a little higher on the sand paper, I hit 600 wet. Might have been a bit of over kill the 220 felt fine, I just did not want to take a chance of a crack appearing.

Harley Shop in Houston recommended taking it to someone who cuts glass. I like the idea of cutting it from the bottom though and may try that myself. It couldn't hurt to get a new shield (as mine is 16 years old with a lot of miles) so I am not to worried about messing mine up.

I will try to splain to you with pictures.
I had water handy in case the plastic got hot, but it never even got warm.
Yes I taped a towel to the sander support

Attachments

• Sander.JPG
    Sander.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 25
  • WS.JPG
    WS.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 26
I will try to splain to you with pictures.
I had water handy in case the plastic got hot, but it never even got warm.
Yes I taped a towel to the sander support

Nice job Dr Evil thanks for splaining it LOL:newsmile100:

Dremel tool. cut bottom if u not perfect no one will know.. factory cut left on top..
Been contemplating cutting mine since I read another's post on same subject, but too nervous to do it. I didn't even think about cutting from the bottom. Thanks to your post/suggestion, I'll be cutting tomorrow, ...from the bottom!

Silly You. You have to submerge the windshield in a bath-tub of water to cut it with a chainsaw.

Geeesh.

That only works if you have a cast iron tub. I tried it in my tub which is acrylic; now I have a shower in my living room.

Back