free website stats program Anyone here ever trimmed a windshield? | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone here ever trimmed a windshield?

hobnecky

I'm hoping for a suggestion on modifying a "two up" quick release windshield that came with my bike. The height doesn't suit me & rather than sell or trade it I thought it should be rather easy to trim it down. Any thoughts?

I'm hoping for a suggestion on modifying a "two up" quick release windshield that came with my bike. The height doesn't suit me & rather than sell or trade it I thought it should be rather easy to trim it down. Any thoughts?

The windshield on my 2009 Road King classic was a little too high for me so I took it to a good glass shop and they cut it down a little under 2 inches so I now look over the top. Much better. Any competent glass shop should be able to this for you.

Type in “cut down windshield” in Search Forum box at top of page and click search button:
Cutting my Lexan Windshield - Harley Davidson Community

Also:
How We Cut Down A Bike Windshield

I trimmed mine down; worked well. Used a 21 teeth per inch blade in jigsaw (happen to have one), then a V type scraper to round the edges, then 3 stages of sandpaper. Only went up to 220 grit on the sandpaper and got quite a nice smooth finish. Patience and care with the sander can make it look real good, professional.

My dealer cut mine for me. They had me sit on the bike, and they put a piece of tape, where i wanted it at. Then they cut it right on the bike.
Cost $ 35.

Type in “cut down windshield” in Search Forum box at top of page and click search button:
Cutting my Lexan Windshield - Harley Davidson Community

Also:
How We Cut Down A Bike Windshield

I trimmed mine down; worked well. Used a 21 teeth per inch blade in jigsaw (happen to have one), then a V type scraper to round the edges, then 3 stages of sandpaper. Only went up to 220 grit on the sandpaper and got quite a nice smooth finish. Patience and care with the sander can make it look real good, professional.

did the same as PigSnot, only I used sanding sponges like are used to sand dry wall mud. works very well, and not as likely to scratch.

I did the same also. Covered the sheild with blue masking tape. Marked it off. Cut it with a 32 TPI jigsaw blade. Pretty smooth to begin with. Very little sanding had it smooth as factory.

Dremel tool. cut bottom if u not perfect no one will know.. factory cut left on top..

Dremel tool. cut bottom if u not perfect no one will know.. factory cut left on top..

That's smart thinking! Doing the cutting from the bottom to reduce the height. That's much better than trying to make the curve equal on both sides. Heck, Im gonna do that to my trike. Thanks for posting that.

zoood

Back