free website stats program Anybody do any winter riding? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anybody do any winter riding?

Anyone in Ontario going to ride to Dover for friday the 13th?

Unlike Smitty I wouldn't ride in the snow hehe. But, that and rain is the only thing that would stop me from riding. Well if its below 26F I wouldn't ride either. Living in NYC, I don't get to winterize my bike. So far this winter the longest I have had it parked was a week and a half. Other than that I am riding every single chance I get. If you have the right gear, cold is nothing. Next year I am planning on getting heated gear, so even below 26F shouldn't be a problem.

Rode to work this morning as usual. (29 degree's) A bit icy, but I stayed in the tire tracks and kept on roads that were being used more. However, after getting to work, I had to turn around and come home to get my keys to get into my office. :bigsmiley25: What a dummy!

Anyway, coming home I almost dropped my bike. Only thing that kept me from bitting the big one was pure luck! And I mean that in a big way for the bike was on it's way down, but I hit a dry spot and it high sided me and after fighting that I made it. Must have looked real funny if someone saw me. Then on the way home from work it started to snow! If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have had any today! Anyway, all safe. I think I'll take the car tomorrow though. :D
Ugly John

Rode to work this morning as usual. (29 degree's) A bit icy, but I stayed in the tire tracks and kept on roads that were being used more. However, after getting to work, I had to turn around and come home to get my keys to get into my office. :bigsmiley25: What a dummy!

Anyway, coming home I almost dropped my bike. Only thing that kept me from bitting the big one was pure luck! And I mean that in a big way for the bike was on it's way down, but I hit a dry spot and it high sided me and after fighting that I made it. Must have looked real funny if someone saw me. Then on the way home from work it started to snow! If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have had any today! Anyway, all safe. I think I'll take the car tomorrow though. :D
Ugly John

Thats not bad luck! Bad luck would have been if you would have completed the drop. I think you had good luck today:D

I guess I should be looking at the whole ordeal with the cup being half full instead of half empty. Now that you mentioned it, I guess I did have some good luck, but still used bad judgement in riding in the first place. Your are absolutely right steve07! I think I'll go get another cup of coffee!
Ugly John

I do winter riding, but only when we have the weather we are having this week :p. It touched near 60 on Sunday, and has been in the mid 50's yesterday and today and tomorrow they are calling for maybe 60+. I got out Sunday for about a 20 mile ride and there were bikes everywhere. I was also finally able to drain the pool cover today, it has been frozen solid for weeks. Don't know about most places but here along the shoreline we usually have mild winters, January and February can be iffy, but for the most part temps range in the 40's to 50's all winter and a few cold snaps come and go, with very little or no snow. This is by far the coldest winter in years. Spring can also be harsh here. Sometimes we go right from cold to hot, there are so many weeks that they call for nice spring time temperatures and then at the last minute we get a thing called a backdoor cold front, knocks the forecasted temps down 15 to 20 degrees than what they called for. happens all the time..

WeatherDudes | Weather Facts

We broke a record today, 62 degrees. Did I go, heck no. There's is so much water from melting snow on the roads along with salt, I couldn't treat her that way. Also, we are pot hole city right now. With the water filling up the 12 inch holes, that's a bad surprise thinking it's just water on the road.

Hobbit...do they use road salt in the UK ? I live in Wisconsin and I will ride in the winter but it is with the understanding there will be a wash and detail after...so much road salt and this year with the economy the local govt. has been cutting with sand which adds an extra thrill around corners.:newsmile070:

I try to get out whenever the temp hits about 50. We have been blessed with a fairly mild winter here in So Jersey. With leather chaps, a good leather jacket, thermals and something to bridge the gap between helmet and neck it's quite comfortable. Managed a few days in January and a few this month. Hoping that March adds some more riding days......

Hobbit...when I was a wee lad we used to take sheet metal screws and put them thru the tire from the inside so point of screw is facing out then put a liner in and put back on rim .....then off to the river to race on the ice...cold but fun with a bit of ale or brandy to keep ya warm.:drunk

Back