free website stats program Anybody do any winter riding? | Harley Davidson Forums

Anybody do any winter riding?

theklanchXL1200N

Hey guys so it's been about a month but during our last thaw here in PA in the middle of January I had to run some errands and my wife had her car, my pickup desprately needs a wheel bearing so I'm not driving it unless I absolutely have to and my box truck, well I don't start it unless I'm getting paid.... Well it was about 35 degrees and I had to run two errands I actually was going to walk my destinations were less than a mile from my house, but then I thought, why not go see if my nightster would start..... I parked it the end of October (I know that was early, but I kinda got tired of my bike being my only form of transportation for the summer till I put the clutch in my PU) and didn't do anything other than make sure it had a full tank of fuel. Last winter I was obsessed with going out to the garage and starting it every couple of days, which ended up just draining the battery, so this winter I figured I wouldn't touch the bike....... So I threw my leg over her and turned on the key..... Hit the start switch and it was a little slow cranking, but it did fire right up!!!! I let her warm up a few minutes and took off. I was amazed at the amount of gravel on my little jaunt around the neighborhood, I never left second gear.... And I desprately avoided the wet spots on the road cause the water on the road in the winter around here is full of salt..... She ran fine no problems whatsoever except for a really dirty set of wheels, which I promptly cleaned (the one thing I hate about my nightster is the black wheels, next to impossible to keep spotless if you actually ride your bike) I had two stops on my journey, and I did shut the bike down at both stops, it was a little slow cranking, but it did start. I figured if it didn't I could push it home, but as I said all was good. It really got the riding bug in check. I don't recommend going on a cross country jaunt in February, but there is something to be said about going for a ride around the block a few times on the days of the winter that are tolearble temp wise. I have been stuck in the cage as far as transportation goes for a while now this winter and it felt real good to go for a blast, be it at 20 mph the whole way it still was fun. I got some pretty funny looks from some cagers when I was out that day, they looked like I was on the first motorcyle they had ever seen.... Oh well I figured I would chime in with a winter riding story.

Today and tomorrow are supposed to be really nice around here, I think I will go get my smokes on the bike a little later, the roads are actually dry from what I can see out my window, why not? I get smokes within walking distance, but frankly I'd rather go through the crap of getting the bike out. I am going to try to ride at least once a month even in the winter so I can justify paying for insurance on something that I don't touch for 4-5 months a year.

Hobbit there is guy around here that has an ultra that rides 365 rain snow or shine. He has some sort of outrigger type sidecar thing that he straps a cement block to. He supposedly runs studded tires on it for the winter. I have seen him out in the snow. There is a story around here that his last bike Harley replaced the frame for him cause it rusted through, I don't know how true it is or isn't, I actually doubt it that HD would stand behind a rust through situation, but I could be wrong. This guy is sort of famous around here, he looks like Santa Claus and he has a huge sticker on his tour pak that says "God Loves You" He is a really cool character a real original so to speak. I know guys do it, I know you ride year round, do you get the blizzard like snows over in England? We get it here sometimes a foot at a time, then rain and a thaw, so it's kind of tough to ride around here, but some guys do it. I don't know, my hands get painfully cold when I ride in weather colder than 45 degrees, so it takes the fun out of it and all you want to do is get home when it's super cold out. Just be careful on the slippery stuff with the bike, Ok?

I ride year around but I live in the south and it doesn't really get that cold. The lows the week is in the 40's and the highs are in the mid 70's.

I ride anytime it gets 50 degrees or higher.
However I just bought chaps Saturday so I think I will lower that to 45 degrees.:) Around here you have to be careful. I live in the country and a lot of the roads are in the shade all day long and ice will remain in the shadows.
Right now it is 38 and is going to stay that way for a week. The weatherman is not my friend.

I got mine out the Saturday after Thanksgiving and again a couple of times in the last month. I figure if it's somewhat warm, 35-40 or higher, it's worth the time to start it up and take a short spin. I just can't figure out if I'm smiling because I enjoyed it or if my face was frozen that way. Oh well, either way it's fun. :)

Hobbit why am I picturing you with some WWI flying goggles and a scarf wrapped around your neck with the end flapping behind you in the breeze with a frozen snot mustache? Kinda like Snoopy when he has his flying garb on........

hi everyone ,
it was around 60 here in effingham,il so hubby and i got the bikes out and rode around a couple of blocks. i wanted to ride mine to see if i could handle my sporty with the new saddlebags and tour pack on it. we just got them in january so hadn't had a chance to try it out yet. unfortunately though there is alot of salt on the roads here whether they are wet or not so hubby put back up as i stood by pouting. talk about riding fever ours is getting pretty high it better warm up soon or we are going to blow.

Does this count ?
snowride_4_Medium_.jpg

I knew Smitty was gonna add his 2 cents.:newsmile100:
Hey Smitty, Shackrag pop. 44 and a 1/2 opened up this weekend. Had about 300 bikes out there. What a blast.

plan now is for a Memphis run this summer we just need to figure out the dates
It has been so long I will need a map to find the place we spen many hours in that gravel parking lot

It's black top now with some gravel slung on it from some bikers that get to much fuel in there bellies.:D

When I was there bikes di dnot go there only drunks and pick up truck.
We are looking forward to the trip.
Does Dyersburg still have a drive in move wife an I use to go there on the bike about 35 years ago :)

Not real sure about that but will check with the guys at work and get back to ya.

Back