free website stats program Any tips welcome | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Any tips welcome

JMO
I own both a touring bike (FLHTCU) and a softail. I just changed oil in forks of both. I used the vacuum method on my touring bike as the caps are hard to access-worked like a charm. However...
On the FXST I removed the caps, drained forks then refilled from the top. The caps are very easily accessed on your softail so IMO the top fill method is the easier way on a softail like yours. Again JMO.

JMO
I own both a touring bike (FLHTCU) and a softail. I just changed oil in forks of both. I used the vacuum method on my touring bike as the caps are hard to access-worked like a charm. However...
On the FXST I removed the caps, drained forks then refilled from the top. The caps are very easily accessed on your softail so IMO the top fill method is the easier way on a softail like yours. Again JMO.

Thanks 89stroker, I will most likely do it this weekend, supposed to rain..and it took one heck of a time to find a 1 3/8" socket, every place had other sizes but finally found it at Autozone...in stock!

You're Wecome! Yea, I remember having a hard time finding a socket but i did find a wrench to fit. What kind of oil are you going to use? I went with a 10wt the improvement in ride and handling is phenominal.

You're Wecome! Yea, I remember having a hard time finding a socket but i did find a wrench to fit. What kind of oil are you going to use? I went with a 10wt the improvement in ride and handling is phenominal.

I don't know the brand, but the bike shop (right across the street from the harley shop) has a heavy duty oil which they reccomend for the warmer temps here. Getting ready to ride to the beach this morning..it's a beautiful day!!

Enjoy your ride.
Tomorrow me and my riding buddies are doing our annual kick off ride, its a 600 mile tour. Ususally we do this ride in late March or early April but it was miserable here most of April. I am so excited and can't keep focused on anything else.

Enjoy your ride.
Tomorrow me and my riding buddies are doing our annual kick off ride, its a 600 mile tour. Ususally we do this ride in late March or early April but it was miserable here most of April. I am so excited and can't keep focused on anything else.

Hope you enjoyed the ride an it was as uneventful as mine, don't like them surprises on the road, worst thing I had was to dodge some road gators.

Just a follow-up, did the deed Monday, no problems, only recovered 11oz. from each fork, filled back up with 12.5 as per the service manual. Had to remove the handlebars to get the socket over the fork cap..just in case anyone else decides to do this. All the feedback was appreciated!!!

Back