free website stats program Any tips welcome | Harley Davidson Forums

Any tips welcome

gator508

Experienced Member
Hi Everybody,

I am planning on doing a fork oil change out in the next several days and looking for tips from those with experience.

2008 FXSTC, which has the wide Glide front end. The drain screws are at the bottom of the forks, My service manual says to replace these, is that really necessary, can they be reused?
Once I get the bike on the lift and remove the fork cap, is the spring still under a lot of tension, or just a little.
Oil choice, I was advised by HD to get SE fork oil, anyone use it, or is a heavy duty oil just as good?

Any tips etc will be appreciated since I have never performed this service before, btw, the bike only has 19K on it and is early for this service, but the amount of fork travel seems to have increased, so on advice from HD I wiil change out the oil.

Thanks!!

To answer your question about drain screws, yes you can reuse them. I have reused on several different bikes many times.
As for taking the caps off, if it is anything like my '99 fxst (which I am certain it is) there is no tension from the springs on the caps.

To answer your question about drain screws, yes you can reuse them. I have reused on several different bikes many times.
As for taking the caps off, if it is anything like my '99 fxst (which I am certain it is) there is no tension from the springs on the caps.

Thanks 89stroker,
That is what I thought. It's been over 30 years since I serviced forks and that was on my Yammy.

Looks like you have been well covered on the procedure. I just did my FLSTC, which I bought used, and you will be pleased with the results. A real improvement in the front end handling.

If you have a mighty vac, the quick change is the way to go. Drain them, measure the liquid, pull a vacuum, pull the new oil in. Replace the drain pugs and you are done. Once you get the rig put together, it takes no time at all. You can also try different weight oils.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have planned to use my vacuum bleeder to pull a slight vac on the fork, should make things faster.

Again thanks!

Back