free website stats program Any tips for riding two up | Harley Davidson Forums

Any tips for riding two up

AZDave

Hello All. I have been riding now for two years and other that my Grandson on a few short trips around town I have not had an adult on the back. The wife says it will never happen so. My younger brother is visiting and I would like to show him some of AZ from the bike. Any life tips you might share on riding 2 up? Thanks

I know that motorcycle safety manuals say that the passenger should lean with the motorcycle/rider. Its been a heavily debated subject for years.

Myself (riding an Ultra) I prefer my passenger just sit on the bike and enjoy the ride. I find it very un-nerving when the passenger starts throwing their weight around as even when I give my kids rides (10 and 13 yrs old) I can feel every time they shift their weight or even turn their head to look at the scenery.

If you're riding a sportbike then its a different subject. (thats where I started years ago) But on a touring/cruiser I don't think the riding is ever aggressive enough in a two-up situation where passenger lean becomes a big factor.

The biggest issue with two-up riding is making sure the passenger is comfortable and trusts the rider...especially if the passenger is apprehensive about riding in the first place. If you have a nervous passenger who isn't used to riding and you start riding aggressive because you think it will be "fun" for them, 9 times out of 10 you will wreck their impression of riding and scare them to where they don't want to ride.

Take them on a nice, easy road with some great scenery and easy turns. Tell them to just sit back and enjoy the ride and to try not to squirm around alot. If you respect their apprehension and take them for a ride which will allow them to appreciate the scenery and enjoy the ride, you'll probably have a passenger sold on the idea of getting on a bike and understanding that there is no better way to see the country.

To start since neither of you have ridden two up just have the passenger to look at the DOT sticker on your helmet in curves and most of all don't squirm around. After a few miles the both of you should get into the "rhythm" and have a relaxed and enjoyable ride.

Don't forget about the additional weight when stopping.

The only thing that I might add is first it would make it nice if your brother has some experience on a bike. I ride a 09 Street Bob and have gotten use to my 100 pd wife that knows how to ride on the back, to my 6' 2" 15 yr old son who is still trying to get his balance figured out. Skratch gave the best advice tell him to just set back and enjoy the ride. And be ready for any movement that might be made behind you. Enjoy your visit and ride safe!

I have made it through the years with a minimum of rules for passengers.
1. Do not try to get on or off until driver tells you to. EVER!
2. Keep torso in line with driver in turns and curves.
3. Tell driver before you make a position change.
4. Relax and enjoy the ride.
5. - 10. Quit banging your helmet into mine.:newsmile100:

5. - 10. Quit banging your helmet into mine.

Breeze: that's hilarious!

It reminds me of a ride with some friends a couple of weeks ago, wife got off the bike and the husband said: "honey, please quit banging your helmet into mine" (he thought he was being funny), she replied: "Quit braking so hard!". We all laughed because we knew he was known for his hard braking.

Last edited:

Very sound advice

And as an addition to #1, don't take your feet off the pegs/footboards
at anytime while riding, EVER!

Extremely important!!

I've almost dumped the bike when a passenger has decided to get on/off when I wasn't ready for them.

Back