free website stats program Any GL5 Gear Oil for Bagger Transmission | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Any GL5 Gear Oil for Bagger Transmission

Thanks Bubbie. I'm sure you're right and I'm worrying about nothing. Just trying to protect my new investment. Don't remember that smell from the first time I put Redline in there though, but I might have just a tad bit more in there than the dealer put in at the 1K service. When they changed it, the level was between the add & full mark. When I changed it, it's right at the full mark. This might be why the vapors are venting out and the smell is more noticeable. And yes, it looks almost like ketchup & mayo mixed. I'll leave it in there til next time it's due to be changed and then use the Spectro I ordered. And I looked on the bottle of Redline and no where on there does it say what the viscosity is. Seems thin for 75/250.

Thanks Bubbie. I'm sure you're right and I'm worrying about nothing. Just trying to protect my new investment. Don't remember that smell from the first time I put Redline in there though, but I might have just a tad bit more in there than the dealer put in at the 1K service. When they changed it, the level was between the add & full mark. When I changed it, it's right at the full mark. This might be why the vapors are venting out and the smell is more noticeable. And yes, it looks almost like ketchup & mayo mixed. I'll leave it in there til next time it's due to be changed and then use the Spectro I ordered. And I looked on the bottle of Redline and no where on there does it say what the viscosity is. Seems thin for 75/250.

Remember Viscosity 75W250 takes HEAT to show the difference the Hotter it gets IT Stays as a 75W Protecting against HIGH Heat like a 250 weight.

Shockproof On the older white bottle with the red/light red label.: states the numbers I used printed there "75W250"...

On the newer Black bottle silver label it describes it differently "as a liquid grease"... saying about the same in interruption of my reading the new label... Good Stuff.

Draining it out when Hot after a ride IS very important... that gets the most out.
I just add the full quart after my draining and I have not the odor noticed doing mine that way.

Remember the tranny's "box" are casting and may be a LITTLE different in size from one to another... an ounce of gear oil Might be the difference..

IF you get it from the Vent tube, I'd pour out an once to start with THEN pour in the rest into the tranny... Might make the difference...

20,000 miles before a change is what HD recommends so I'd GO with that mileage.

I would take back the spectro as "I" feel the Redline Best.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Back