free website stats program Any GL5 Gear Oil for Bagger Transmission | Harley Davidson Forums

Any GL5 Gear Oil for Bagger Transmission

Day1

Hello All,

My name is Shawn. I am new to the family! I have to say I really enjoy the site and all the good shared information and suggestions. I am new the H.D world as this is my first Harley. I have had several other bikes however, I am wondering why I never looked at purchasing one until now.... What a great ride!

So my question is.... can I use any off the shelf GL5 gear oil for my big twin's transmission? I have seen the great reports on Spectro 6 speed oil offering although this is not readily available in my area. I would like to use a reputable brand such as Mobil, Valvoline etc. Additionally.... What is the desired weight such as 75w90 or 75w140?

2005 Police Special Electra Glide 88" 5 speed

Have you read through this: Harley Davidson Community

I've used Quaker State Synthetic 75w140 in my 6-speed and it did the trick. But presently it has the Spectro 6-speed in it.
Mobil 1 doesn't appear to recommend using their gear oil in a H-D tranny.

If you're not riding in hot climes most of the time, I'd say the cheaper priced 75w90 is all that is called for.

Thanks for the reply!

As I understand the 5 speed is different internally than the 6 speed. I will take a look at your attached link.

Mobil1 is fine for your trans. I used it for many miles before switching to Spectro 6 speed (just because). Several of my friends use Mobil 1 75/90.

Thanks Breeze3at!

I currently have the Formula + in the primary and transmission. The transmission is not loud when riding, just seems to have that famous clunk!

Thanks Jack! Your attached link has some great information.... I plan on checking the primary chain when I perform the service.

Thanks again:)

Back