free website stats program Any Advice on 883? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Any Advice on 883?

The 883 is a good solid bike. My son gave me mine as a gift before he went to Afghanastan and I love it. It's my second Harley, I Had one of the AMF harleys in the 70's and didn't care for it. It leaked, broke down, and the dealer didn't want to warranty anything (Thank goodness they no longer exist). Now the bikes are much more dependable, don't leak (not near as much) and you can get them worked on, or do it yourself. My bike is the smallest Harley at work, but it gets good comments all the time. It's clean, chrome and grey. So keep looking, you'll find something good out there.

My first bike was an 07 883. From what I read it was the best bike for a new rider, it was all correct. Loved the bike, I put a mustang wide two up touring seat. My wife and I had many a great ride. I'm 230 Lbs, road it every day that I could and spent 40 miles a day on I-66 cruising 70 - 75 MPH with no problems.

Looking for some advise, I have an '08 883 completely stock. What are some must have accessories? I ride her everyday to/fr work, 15 miles, but also hoping to take her on longer rides too, approx. 200 miles, to see my daughter for weekend visits.

I was in the same shape bike / finance wise. Went to the local HD shop and picked up a 2006 883xl gave $6000 for it with 6000 miles. It has all the chrome, pipes and goodies I would've wanted to buy anyway, so it think I got a great one!!:p I weigh close to 220 and the bike runs and drives great. You might check craigs list in your area because there are lots of folks trying to get rid of the bikes due to economics. Also with the "trade up" program HD sponsored there are quite a few sportsters at the HD shop in all price ranges to choose from...

Looks like it's all been covered as far as advice goes but why not throw in my two cents? My first Harley is a 2003 883 and she's been great.

If your intentions are just for running around near your home then this is a good choice. If you want a bike for in town than it's perfect. The engine is enough to speed my large frame at 80 mph up hill all day. The bike has good acceleration and the responsiveness is great for weaving through city traffic. I imagine it's a great and forgiving bike to learn to ride on as well.

The only problems I've ever had stem from wanting to make longer, touring style, trips. I'm 6'0 and without highway pegs my legs get very tired after a few hundred miles. The tank only holds a couple gallons of gas and there's no larger option until the 2004 models. The engine vibrations can become very annoying after a few hours. I would kill for cruise control, literally. Oh and there's no room for saddle bags unless you buy a kit that moves the rear turn signals back a few inches. None of this is the fault of the bike, you can't expect a great cruiser to also be a great touring bike.

I may have found my bike! Going to look at a 1999 883C, already has the stage 1 work done by a guy known for getting it right, plus windshield, mustang seat and a few chrome bits as well. This bike belongs to a friend of a friend and I am told it is in cherry condition and the price is right. I can't wait to see it. If it works out I'll post pics next week!

Gunsablazin may have found his ride!!!!!!!

All the advice has been right on the money. The 2004 and up are a lot more smooth and vibration free. They get great mileage and will respond to the right performance upgrades very easy and are fast as (EDIT) once you get the right combination/people involved. Don't worry about your weight. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. and ride a 2005 XLC 883/1207. The forward controls are a big help on the Custom model, but you can add those if yours doesn't come with them. Ride hard-live free.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I did it, found a very nice 1999 883C with only 1700 miles on it. With the extras it came with, HD windshield, Corbin seat, new tires etc. I think I got a bargain at $4,350.00. I'm picking it up in the morning and hope to have pics up soon. I'll be out of town most of next week, but I'll let you know how she rides on monday. Thanks for all the help!

Gunsablazin

Back