free website stats program An On The Road Question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

An On The Road Question

Has anyone ever actually had any trouble with somebody messing with their bike at a hotel/motel?

When I travel on my bike, I always ask the front desk (before paying for the room) if it's ok if I park the bike in front of the lobby entrance. I've never been told I couldn't. If I am ever told I cant, I'll just leave and find another hotel that will let me.

I've had two incidents, both very minor and nothing lost or damaged. These were both roughly 10 years ago.

1. In Iowa on a cross country ride on a '95 Honda Shadow, someone fiddled with the bike. When I came out in the morning I could tell there was something different about it. Headed out, and noticed I was getting really good mileage (used the "A" odo as the gas gauge, Shadow had a 3.4 gallon tank and a small reserve). Leaned down to check the reserve lever and was on reserve. Switched back and the bike died. Back to reserve, and carefully back to find a gas station.

2. At Wounded Knee, SD, I pulled in where the battle was and read the displays. Afterwards, hiked up the hill to the cemetery and was out of sight of the bike. A few minutes later a young kid came up and started explaining the battle from the Sioux perspective. When I returned to the bike, all the pockets on the T-bag were unzipped. Nothing taken, just a curious kid.

As for motels, I try for a downstairs room where I can park the bike out front. A few times I've parked under the front awnings, some motels like that as bikes seem to attract other bikes but others do not. I usually stay at Motel 6 type places or, preferably, mom-and-pop type. I've had mixed results at the foreign owned and operated motels.

Even got a 10% discount once for being on a motorcycle as I was too young then for ARRP. I've even been told where to park to get the bike out of the overnight rain, like under an eave or under a covered walkway.

In my opinion, bikes are no longer such a novelty that people check them out or mess with them. We're just part of the scenery, and since no one leaves valuables on bike overnight there is no use in looking.

I haven't got to travel as much as I'd like on the bike. Regardless of being on the bike or with the family, I tend to stick with one or two hotel chains so I can earn their bonus points and use them later on towards a free night.

When I had the Fatboy, I tried to keep everything in one big bag that was attached to the back rest... made it easier to unload the bike at stops. The HD saddlebags didn't hold much anyway, so I usually just kept the rain gear and some other basic stuff in them.

Has anyone ever actually had any trouble with somebody messing with their bike at a hotel/motel?

When I travel on my bike, I always ask the front desk (before paying for the room) if it's ok if I park the bike in front of the lobby entrance. I've never been told I couldn't. If I am ever told I cant, I'll just leave and find another hotel that will let me.

This is very good, I have found a lot of Motels to be open to this, Don't forget to ask for a senior discount or any specials they may have:s

Congrats on your upcoming retirement.....
Many others have made many good points.......personally, I like to be off the road 4:00pm ish.....gives you a much greater choice in motels, and gives you time to get cleaned up and out of your road duds. I've always asked, and most frequently got a deal on the room. The 'mom and pop' motels are the ones that I like the best, and have never been turned down when I've asked for safe type parking. Steel cable is a little more difficult for bolt cutters....you have to kind of chew through it. Steel cable rolls up small, and is a little less bulky and heavy. I do like to be on the road fairly early.....less traffic, more wildlife, etc. Ride for awhile, then stop for breakfast.......happy trails!

I use a bike cover that is lockable. (Grommets on bottom that allow a lock to be applied.) Also doesn't have a brand name on the cover.

Also have the loud alarm on the bike. Move the bike, fool with the switch.... a loud alarm will sound.

Also added a decal on the fuel cap.
ALARM/SECURITY EQUIPPED
BIKE WON'T START
LOUD ALARM WILL SOUND
OWNER MAY BE ARMED
LEAVE IT ALONE!
Never had a problem on my cross-country trips.

Back