free website stats program Alway check the work that is done by the HD repair tech | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Alway check the work that is done by the HD repair tech

I went in and talked to the service manager and I was polite and calm. I did point out the amount of oil that was recovered and he claimed that not all the oil comes out of the primary when doing a oil change, then I pointed out that when the primary cover is removed it is required to put in 45 fluid oz of oil, so if I was just doing a oil change in the primary I should of recovered 36oz of oil not 26 oz. I also mentioned that there was no excuse for the clutch to be that far out of adjustment.
I checked my '07 Ultra service manual and the 45 ounces figure is for a dry fill. When the primary is taken apart and the reassembled. All the fluids would be wiped clean.

The 36 ounces (book states 38 ounces) that you are going by is for your normal fluid changes.

All the various components, shocks, forks, primary, tranny, engine have wet and dry measurements to use.

WET is just normal change, you'll have left-over fluids.
DRY is when the item has been totally taken apart and wiped down.

Wacko....
Lonely feeling, getting a raw deal as you did. They were going to have to put the tires back on anyway. Then they blamed the extra charge on the "computer."

I was one of the lucky owners with my 2001 Toyota Tacoma.
In for an oil change and they called, said my frame was rusty and I qualified for a new frame. FREE!

1995.5-2004 Tacomas had a rust problem. The American company that stamped out the frames didn't do a proper rust-proofing, Toyota didn't catch it so if the frame has any perforation, they replace the frames (2001-2004) or buy-back (1995.5-2000) the truck @1.5 KBB, excellent condition. You can be hauling wood, it's still considered excellent condition for the buy-back.

Replaced the frame, rear springs, lower control arms, brake lines w/e-brake cable, hardware, recharge A/C, new anti-freeze, hardware and labor. All free!
My drive train was good, they lifted off the cab and box. Just slid the new frame under and rebuilt the frame.

Here is the common sense kicker that Midas should have done.
Because the old shocks were going to be placed back on the new frame, if I wanted new shocks, just buy them (any brand) and it would be free labor. The work operation was easier for the mechanic. Same job, old or new shocks. It was easier for him because he didn't have to take the old shocks off.
Same deal with exhaust. Same work operation labor wise.

They treated me right! Already had a new Toyota exhaust but I did buy new Toyota shocks. Toyota has a deal. Buy Toyota replacement shocks and/or exhaust, after that it becomes life-time free parts and labor if needed again.

The tires were already off at Midas. What difference would it have been to roll them to another wheel?
They took advantage of the moment and lost a customer. Maybe more customers than just yourself.

Toyota treated me well. I didn't even know of the replacement program. It isn't a recall thing. It is handled differently.
They called me and said I qualified!
The bill sent to Toyota was between $11,000-$12,000.
Only thing I paid for was some new shocks and they discounted that price.

Oh by the way, when they put the tires back on the truck, they rotated them!

Customers remember when treated fairly and never forget when taken advantage of!

I'm sure not all Midas shops are like the one I went to.......they are all run by different franchise owners I'm sure.....this particular owner may have just had a bad day but I definately let many many people know of his policy of charging for tire rotations even though all the tires are laying on teh floor! Glad the one you used took more than good care of you!

Sorry to the OP about hijacking his thread! Guess teh bottom line is with any repair shop.....HD....Indy.....or auto shop you have to check things out or you'll could be taken for a ride!

Probably the tech simply put in one quart in your primary when you drained it only 26 ozs came out time is money,but there is no excuse for the clutch being that way that is something that has to be exact for rideability purposes. When I fill my primary I dont measure the amount, I add until it just touches the bottom of the clutch basket that normally on a wet change is 32-36 ozs.When I have new tires put on my bike the shop will let me know if there is anything else wrong,last tire change they put new brake pads in the rear all I pay for is parts tire is already off,they have a customer in me for life..

Yeh man-had a rear tire replaced on my sportster. Exact same tire at a fair price. Didn't check the belt tension when I got it back and about fifty miles broke the drive belt. Wasn't a dealer but a reputable indy shop out side of Tyler Texas. Ordered a belt from dealer here and they said 7 days. 10 days later called Longview and they had it in stock. I trade with them now. Had to pay a restocking fee when the other belt came in. Really hacked me off. Lesson learned tho. Installed the belt myself and will check any work anyone else does to my ride from now on.

Probably the tech simply put in one quart in your primary when you drained it only 26 ozs came out time is money,but there is no excuse for the clutch being that way that is something that has to be exact for rideability purposes. When I fill my primary I dont measure the amount, I add until it just touches the bottom of the clutch basket that normally on a wet change is 32-36 ozs.When I have new tires put on my bike the shop will let me know if there is anything else wrong,last tire change they put new brake pads in the rear all I pay for is parts tire is already off,they have a customer in me for life..

A wet change requires 36 fluid oz, if the primary cover was removed then you need to put in 45 fluid oz, ACCORDING TO THE 2008 HD SERVICE MANUAL. If the tech did the service correctly then I should of recovered 36 fluid oz of oil doing a wet change.

I just registered on this forum 5 minutes ago & fell into this thread. Chaps my hide cuz on my last service (20k) due per-paid contract, the HD dealer did a (EDIT) job. Left two bottom bolts out of my tranny causing fluid to leak all over garage from ride home (not to mention the whole undercarriage of my bike covered in oil) and had part of my wiring loom from the front fairing hanging out from the bottom pinched in the bat wing. The temp sender was unplugged causing that gauge not to work & I ended up fixing it all myself. I've had decent luck up to that point but I've often questioned whether the work was being done or not. I'm very mechanically inclined & bought the service manual (great manual btw) and once my service contract is over it will be a rare day my ride gets touched for repairs other than from me. Ok, sorry, rant over... But I concur... Check the work cuz in my mind it's also a safety thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
ironmark,

I would LOVE to take that explanation right to the "OWNER" of that HD franchised shop...

Man, what a bunch of gooble-gopppp.. And covering their Back-side... I have heard this spouted out of the mouths of the ones WHO Know Better ALSO.........
This is why a lot of people SHOULD do Their own work.(.) And DO.....

signed....BUBBIE

Took the bike to HD dealer on 1/31/12 for a stator repair because I have the ESP. Sense then I felt a occasional clunk on the left floorboard so I decided to check the clutch adjustment. Well the clutch adjustment screw was turn out over 2 full turns when it was only suppose to be turned out 1/2 to 1 turn max. So I decided to change the oil so I would be sure that the required 36 oz of oil was in the primary, I only recovered 26 oz of oil from the primary. I guess the HD repair tech just doesn't know how to read a repair manual.

I have to wonder if the tech adjusted the clutch with the engine cold (room temp.)...It does make a difference for proper adjustment...When you checked the adjustment was the eng.cold?

Yesterday, the S/O and I were getting in some slow parking lot practice. I noticed 2 Derby Cover Screws missing. We dashed up the road to the dealer as she just had her 1K service done there. It was taken care of, no questions asked, no money changed hands. She bought into the Maintenance/Service contract and is now kinda committed to it (I think). Not happy about parts falling off her bike, but, they didn't give her any grief about it either. Sorta expected some one to say, "Yeah, they all do that".

Reinforces my decision to service my own bike, glad I bought the Service manual!

Cheers!

Back