free website stats program all of a sudden I have oil on my garage floor | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

all of a sudden I have oil on my garage floor

Look to see IF they installed fully adjustable push-rods when they did the cam replace..?? and IF they did It is an Easier fix..

If you Don't have the adjustable type push rods I mentioned,,, I would buy a set of the better SE HD ones .... Snip out the push-rod on that valve lifter and replace the leaking gasket and proceed EITHER with all removed (snipped out) and replaced OR Only install the ONE fully adjustable push-rod For Now and do the Rest this winter..

Self help has a lot of stuff on this... Or "Search Forum" on top right .. Enter the Key Words that should help to bring up threads/post that address this subject..

Glad you found the leak

signed....BUBBIE

I bought the Clymer evolution manual a few weeks back...this is where I plan on doing my reading....had no clue about adjustable pushrods, I thank this site for that info....I can only guess at the moment that since the top end will not be touched, that adjustables compress and slip intp place, if thats true than it will be a load off my mind.....again I do not plan on taking bolt cutters to the motor till I read and get it done in my mind......thanx again

I bought the Clymer evolution manual a few weeks back...this is where I plan on doing my reading....had no clue about adjustable pushrods, I thank this site for that info....I can only guess at the moment that since the top end will not be touched, that adjustables compress and slip intp place, if thats true than it will be a load off my mind.....again I do not plan on taking bolt cutters to the motor till I read and get it done in my mind......thanx again

Yes That Is the Beauty of them.... Upper end stays together.!

The Bolt Cutters work great ... Just be careful to make sure that the Valve you are working on is Fully Closed with no pressure on the lifter....

But did you look at the paper work and charges that HD did when they replaced the other problem you had in the cam area..... Your receipt should show IF the installed Adjustable push-rods.... OR

Not that hard to POP off the spring loaded cover on a tube cover and just look..... You will see a Long threaded end on top the lifter with a Nut locking to the rest of push rod..... If it is just stock it will be a tube/no threads or nut.

You Probably don't have to hurry to fix this as it sounds like it is not spitting out enough oil to run it down to Un-Safe level..... As long as you check it Daily and only see a little under bike.... Keep an EYE on that oil level.....

signed....BUBBIE

I bought the Clymer evolution manual a few weeks back...this is where I plan on doing my reading

The majority opinion expressed in numerous threads is that the actual HD Factory Service Manual beats any other hands down. Pricey but it will pay for itself many times over.

I like the clymer manuals i have the hd and the clymer but prefer the clymer as i seem to understand the layout better but i do cross reference to both and find that the clymer is not missing any detail in some respects gives a little more but that is on my eary 90s evo engined bikes all the manuals are for specific models although the parts list from hd covers all big twins for the 2 year period it covers

Brian

Brian is correct, Clymer may not have as much detail in places, but it also has parts of the Electrical Diagnostics manual and Parts Manual as well as the Service Manual documentation, so it is "broad" in it's coverage and has a color coded schematic as well. Take it with me for "road side" documentation on long trips. Yeah the HD manual(s) are great, but sometimes you need a swiss army knife rather than a full size Bowie when the time comes.

As far as puddle on the garage floor...overfilling is THE most common cause...with through cleaning and subsequent close inspection being your best course of action. If the chrome bits are in the way...you can remove them...oil leaches everywhere once it escapes...ask BP...

Brother u got that one so rite...after taking off the chrome dressing, man I have oil film everywhere..tranny...rear rim... all over...and my rear whitewall isn't as white as it once was...and I wash this bike every weekend..taking off the hard bags it really hits you going stateside monday gonna see on some new pushrods a great nite to yas

Back