free website stats program all of a sudden I have oil on my garage floor | Harley Davidson Forums

all of a sudden I have oil on my garage floor

keye

I have a 97 RoadKing, last year I spun a Cam Bearing....took her in to the dealer and they replaced the bearing and upped me to a screaming eagle cam, thank god I still had extended warrantee, when I got the scoot back, I would see a very little drop of oil on the floor after a run, not very much but still a drop, now this year and about 10000 Kms later the drop has turned into 2 or 3 drops, I am dedicated to regular oil changes, not really seeing any big drop on the dip stick, but the leaks are getting more intense, contacted the dealer and they say that its the milage on the bike....42000 miles...the bottom of the casing is where the drops are forming and dropping.....the bike runs great and strong, never has given me a single problem other than the cam bearing....my question is would getting into the cam area to do a bearing job and cam change, would this cause oil leakage, and if not would the 42000 miles lead to leakage, again it drips at the bottom of the casings, I do not beleive that they would have had to split the casings

Before I jumped to any conclusions I would get some Gunk degreaser, spray it down, and wash it off so you can determine where the leak is coming from. It may be a very simple fix such as an oil pressure sending unit. But you won't know until you clean it down and determine where the oil is coming from.

Leak could actually be starting somewhere else and gravity and the parking angle of the bike are fooling you into thinking that it's originating on the bottom of the casing. That just may be the actual point where the drops finally fall onto the floor. Am I making any sense?

Clean everything off better than new and see if you can trace the leak back to its origin.

Shouldn't have had to split the casings, as you put it, to do the work you described.

gonna pick up a bike jack in the morn. I bought it a few years back and the previous owner loaded her with chrome, the tranny and the back of the motor are covered with clrome plates that does not allow visual into the area...........the prob I have is that it seems to flow strong after a good ride and when the bike is at running temp, wiping the lower case and letting the bike cool and sit seems to slow it down....but with the jack stand and taking the chrome plates off it will give me more room and more angles to look thanx

The guys above have you covered. Get some degreaser from O'Reily's or AutoZone and clean it completely so that it is spotless. Then take it for a ride until it is hot. Park the bike with the engine/tranny over some butcher block paper or packing paper (not newspaper) so that you can see exactly where the drips are coming from. Inspect the bike carefully looking for the source. That will help you decide what needs to be done.

TQ

check the o-ring around the oil drain plug. do you install a new one with each oil change?
I don't think its the milage like your dealer, as many of the members here have more and no leaks

found the leak...the chrome cover that covers the tranny and the back of the motor looks great all shiny as they say, but it sure as heck hides any problems that come up or start...the oil is spitting out the rear and the inside jug tappet block on the inside, could never see it because of the chrome panal the previous owner installed and also the oil pressure guage, where the block meets the engine block...I gotta read up on this but as I see it it looks like the head has to be removed to lift the tappet block, and this might be just a bit over my head...unless I am wrong with the cylinder head....still have a few months of riding and I do not want to park her early....any and all info would be truely appreciated, if I must take her to the dealer than I will, but I would really like to give it a shot doing it myself

Back