free website stats program Advice on Coastal Maine trip | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Advice on Coastal Maine trip

Re: Advice on Coastal Maine

I'd suggest doing it on a weekday. The weekdays along the coast roads are tough. You could come up 95, get off on 101 East right into Hamption's Rt1 beach road 1A and ride it north into Maine. You will be right on the water until crossing into Maine.

Re: Advice on Coastal Maine

When you get to Portsmouth, NH start following Rte 1 along the coastline north to Portland, ME then 295 back to RTE 1.

Well ....Central like you but I dont get out much..:p..You see I have never been to alot of the nice may have but I have riden down to bentles ,if that counts..:laugh....Working at my store again today......I can here the bikes go by.....Was that you??

The only thing I can say is "so much to see-so little time".

If your estimated time for riding is 5 hours I would suggest you stay South of Boothbay peninsula. Shore road in Cape Elizabeth is a nice ride and you will pass Ft Williams Park and the Portland Head Light. Bailey Island is a good ride and you get to see the only cribstone bridge in the world. There are lots of good places to eat and spend the night in Freeport. If you go to Boothbay Hbr. take a side trip on Rt 96 (turn at the Irving Station) and ride out to the point, the views are great.

Here is another resource: NER Best of New England This is probably the definitive guide to riding as it is compiled by motorcycle riders. Also check their forum for more info.

Have a great time.:bigsmiley11:

Thanks Mainah! I'll shoot for Baily Island and will plan to stay in Freeport for the night. I'll be traveling mid week to avoid traffic. The bridge sounds cool! Thanks again and I'll let you all know how the trip goes!

You're very welcome. You might want to hook up with the NER group as many of them are from Mass. and they are always doing fun rides. I've been trying to hook up, but have only been able to make one Ride To Eat a couple of years ago. Seems they have something going on every weekend in southern New England.

OK the trip is tomorrow! Reserved a room in Freeport. The plan is to head up 1A through Hampton and Rye Beach and just keep the coastline on my right! Perkins Cove, Nubble Lighthouse, Biddeford Pool, Littlejohn Island then up to Bailey Island. We'll stop at the hotel overnight and then head home with no route planned! Weather looks good and my son has his camera all charged up!
Wish us luck!

sounds like a great ride coming up. take lots of pictures and we all would love if you would share them.:D

Back