free website stats program Advice on Coastal Maine trip | Harley Davidson Forums

Advice on Coastal Maine trip

whacko

I plan to take my 9 year old son on a one night trip this summer. He would like to check out the Maine Coast. Leaving out of Northeast Massachusetts and would like advice on points to hit on the Maine Coast. Looking for about 5 hours of riding on the first day.....no freeways......looked at baily island little John island on googlemaps.....are those islands any good for scenery? Any advice on small backroads to hit on the maine coast would be appreciated!

I can't help with any specific recommendations but I wanted to say how neat this trip sounds. Have a GREAT time bonding with your son - they grow up oh so quick!

OK you Maine riders help Wacko out. This is just the type of trip we all want to read about. Riding the Maine Coast with your son or daughter or wife/girlfriend, can't get much better!!!

OK you Maine riders help Wacko out. This is just the type of trip we all want to read about. Riding the Maine Coast with your son or daughter or wife/girlfriend, can't get much better!!!

thanks HDDON. I'll be sure to post some pix and updates when we finally get out on this trip. I asked him what he wanted to do when mom is away on business this summer and he said he wants to take an overnight trip with me on the bike! Only one night but it will be a blast! Just looking for advice on some of the better coastal roads / islands to hit within 4 - 5 hours drive time from Northeast Massachusetts.

I plan to take my 9 year old son on a one night trip this summer. He would like to check out the Maine Coast. Leaving out of Northeast Massachusetts and would like advice on points to hit on the Maine Coast. Looking for about 5 hours of riding on the first day.....no freeways......looked at baily island little John island on googlemaps.....are those islands any good for scenery? Any advice on small backroads to hit on the maine coast would be appreciated!

The Maine coast is VERY busy. Many little towns with a huge appetite for tourists. We don't travel that direction very often because of the traffic. We tend to head north and west from our place. But, with that said, my wife and I did take a ride to Boothbay Harbor for dinner yesterday and had a good meal at Robinsons Wharf. Any of the towns north of probably Brunswick would be my choice to visit. I know you said 4 or 5 hours but Bar Harbor has a nice National Park and is a little under 300 miles from Boston. Route 1 is the main corridor for coastal travel with many winding finger roads heading east toward the water. Maybe stop and visit some of the forts on the way, like Fort Baldwin and Fort Knox. Here's a link for those. Historic Forts of Maine I have not been up it but the Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Observatory in Bucksport might also be a cool stop. It's a new bridge with an observatory at the top that is about 400' high. The bridge is in the same vicinity as Fort Knox. Have a great trip with your son and let us know when your headed up, maybe we'll do another coast run for dinner!

The only thing I can say is "so much to see-so little time".

If your estimated time for riding is 5 hours I would suggest you stay South of Boothbay peninsula. Shore road in Cape Elizabeth is a nice ride and you will pass Ft Williams Park and the Portland Head Light. Bailey Island is a good ride and you get to see the only cribstone bridge in the world. There are lots of good places to eat and spend the night in Freeport. If you go to Boothbay Hbr. take a side trip on Rt 96 (turn at the Irving Station) and ride out to the point, the views are great.

Here is another resource: NER Best of New England This is probably the definitive guide to riding as it is compiled by motorcycle riders. Also check their forum for more info.

Have a great time.:bigsmiley11:

Back