free website stats program Advice for 2010 Ultra Classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Advice for 2010 Ultra Classic

In his defense he has only sat on the bike and recreated the problem, he has not looked at it as it is under warranty. He felt it might be the bearings but OC Harley said evertthing was fine with the bearings. Not bashing Harley as I had a 99 RKC that was perfect, OC Harley in Irvine has been very good and actually recommended the factory rep. I readliy admit I am no expert with bikes. The purpose of the thread was see if there was anything someone might know that I could better express to the rep although I think the problem speaks for itself.

"ballpeen" you stated something strange here, probably my inabilty to correctly express the problem on this thread, I am not a expert with bike repair other than changing fluids, a person has to know their limitations and I definetly know mine when it comes to diagnosing problems on a bike, just don't have the experience of working on bikes, never had the need. Thanks to all for the replies, I will update after I meet with the factory rep.

Last edited by a moderator:
You/we really cant diagnose such a problem via the internet but it sounds like the factory rep and some techs need to really look at the bar to upper triple clamp interface...bad bushings, loose somewhere...something. If shaking the bars at rest can cause the front end to shake back and forth I really dont see how the issue cant be found. do you hear any noise when it does this (rattle, squeak, groan, anything)?...good luck to you! Let us know what is finally done or found...

Phil

Possibly fairing mounting brackets broken? If you straddle the front wheel between your knees, can you wiggle the fairing without the wheel moving? Or straddling the wheel, can the handlebars be moved without wheel moving?

does it wobble all the time or just when you have it loaded down? I had a customer passing through on a ultra and wanted a rear tire he was loaded down and two up changed the tire and went for test ride i didn't go 20 ft and nearly died the wobble was so bad. i pulled back in. looked it over all ok went again same. well he was over loaded so not much weight on front end kinda like a heavy loaded truck were you can barely steer. just an idea. for a loaded down ultra.

does it do this only loaded down? i had a passer by come through change his rear tire and took it for test ride and scared the crud out of me shook so bad he was loaded down and two up. he was over loaded. kinda of like when you have a heavily loaded truck and can barely steer because the front tires are barely making contact with the road just a thought. if nothing can be found wrong.

Hello good afternoon its about 6:00 my time here in Long Beach. I was intrested on what your outcome was on your 2010 Ultra Classic? I am having the same problem with my 2010 on how you described with yours. My front end has the same wobble. My Ultra Classic has less than 5000 miles on it, i have not crashed,banged,or droped the bike. You have explained the problem exaclty as i am having with my front end I cannot have exppressed it any simplier, what you have described are the excact symptoms on my Harley. I also am not a mechanic i gas them,clean them,and ride them.

tmchristop has not had any activity since June 25, 2011. You might try going to his profile and sending a PM or email.

Have a 2010 Ultra Limited. Never had that happen before. Only time I've ever gotten a wobble is when fully loaded and let go of the handle bars for a second to zip of a coat. This only occurs at speeds of less than 35 I'd say and has never been a problem for me.

I was at an event up in Carson City Nevada in June and a guy came up to me and said he had the same bike as me and asked if I have a hard time keeping the front end steady, when taking off from a stop while carrying a passenger. He said his front end would wobble and that he's had back to the dealer to address the issue, but nothing was found wrong. I wonder I that is what you're experiencing?

I had the same wobble on my 2012 right after I brought it home. It only happened when I accelerated to about 40 mph then let the throttle close and the bike decelerate as I took my hands off the bars. It would start off as a slight oscillation but would increase to the point that I had to put my hands back on the bars to maintain control. I took it back to the dealer and of course they said they took it for a test ride and, of course, said they couldn't duplicate it, however, they also added that "It is the official opinion of Harley Davidson that a rider should not let go of the handlebars at 40 mph." Well, I then gave them MY "OFFICIAL OPINION" that when an individual pays $26K for a **** motorcycle, that it shouldn't wobble...so find it, and fix it! They tightened up the steering head bearings ever so slightly and asked me to check it out. Wobble gone. It's not an easy job...actually, it's a real pain in the *** on an Ultra-Classic, so a lot of dealerships will shy away from that complaint saying either the "official HD opinion" line or the "It didn't do it for us" line...or the notorious "They all do that" line, especially if it is warranty work.

Patient: "Doc, I get a pain in my shoulder when I reach up and over, putting my right thumb in my left ear.":dknow

Doc: "Well...Don't do that. See the receptionist for payment on your way out. Have a good day." :newsmile045:

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

After reading all the posts and knowing the steering head checks (swing test) I have done on my bike I think Jimharvey1 has the solution. Make the dealer take care of it. I would also check the fairing brackets, had my first one on the left side brake a few months back. Good luck

Back