free website stats program Adjuster cam "slop" on baggers with this system | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjuster cam "slop" on baggers with this system

Re: Changed rear tire........

-------dont rely on those cam lobes-------------------------------------------------------------------------
have someone in machine shop turn you 2 pins,1 to fit hole in swingarm & 1 to fit hole in axle. drill.187 hole 90 degrees through pins, connect pins with a .187 rod . have a setscrew in the end of pins to tighten down on rod. put 1 pin in axle hole & 1 pin in swingarm & tighten setscrews then check other side. you can even check the distance the rod sticks out from the side of the pin with dial calipers. compare 1 side to the other.

Thanks. i'll grab some shim stock from the shop tomorrow as i'll be in the office. i measured from the center of the swingarm to the center of the axle on both sides. while the r/s cam is WAY out (indicating overly tight) the tale of the tape says exactly 1/16 of an inch. totally rididculous in my opinion. rear wheel has been off only once in 18.6k and belt adjusted twice before this. was going to loosen cone nut and drive adjuster cam downward to slightly loosen r/s and button it up. this stage is taking longer than the entire trans replacement, haha. will definetly work on the new axle thing and the shim stock will be a great relief. hate to think about having to thread the axle back thru the abs sensor again (making it a 5 time event:(). will be back w/ info on the deal. thanks again.

tq, i read ur comments on rear axle position adjustment with interest. i have the same setup with a removable (but set) cam on the right side of the axle, and essentially no ability to independently adjust the right and left side of axle deflection forward or backward. its a preset system.

i rechecked my rear axle alignment after seeing ur post. checking the alignment from center of swingarm pivot bolt to the center of axle on each side, there was less than a 1/16" difference.

i've been chasing a rear wheel alignment ghost for a while now. no performance issues, but the wheel is clearly to the left side of the fender well. its close enuff to the fender sidewall that i wondered whether it would hit when the shocks are compressed, but have never had any scuffing on the tire sidewall.

another possible sign of misalignment is that the drive belt contacts the inner belt cover (plastic) and has worn it away where it makes contact.

i've considered whether this was an axle spacer issue, swingarm issue, fender/frame issue, or axle misalignment. from a performance standpoint, its not a problem, and so not a major issue, but ur post played into this and would be interested in any comments u or others have. thanks.

Oldscoolz,

Yeah. I was worrying about it more from the horrible mileage I have been getting on my rear tires. But next time you have the axle threads exposed, check to see if the right side threads of the profile (when looking head on to the threaded end) are mashed allowing for more slop with the cam. See the pix above. That was the case with my original axle. I have added a spacer (piece of feeler gauge) to tighten up this gap on the new axle so as to hopefully avoid crushing the threads.

TQ

Last edited:
Having the same problem on my 03 I just put a new back tire on and after 20 miles heard the belt sqeek. When I got home and look at it the axle had got about a half a turn loose ! not good !! Thanks for your help cause I was ready to order a new cam and axle.

Back