free website stats program Accessory Switch and Cig lighter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Accessory Switch and Cig lighter

My guess is your not going anywhere without the books. I am tempted to buy a set just to see how the 2011's work. There is probably a whole new set of DTC codes for 2011 also.
Pretty interesting stuff.

Last time I checked, the PDF version was not yet out. When they do become available, I will go for them because the PDF version is so much cheaper.

Well, the dealer replaced the fuse. I don't have the manuals for the 2011 Touring models yet. After the fuse was replaced all was good again until I plugged my Zumo 220 into the accessory port in the fairing and puff there goes the fuse again. The dealer told me there are two fuse panels and not just one. I have no idea where the second one is. Anyone out there have any idea and might have pictures? All if someone has a link to the .pdf manuals for the 2011 Touring bikes and can post it that would be awesome.

Do to size of accessories plug, when installing into cigarette lighter you can have fuses pop do to component shorting against lighter socket. This is the reason that most cars have a accessory/power point sockets in cars....

You say the fuse blew after you plugged a device into the accy. port on the fairing, you have a common problem the polarity on the port is reversed. The outer fairing has to come off and the wires need to be reversed. The center pole on the port has to be the positive or you will pop the fuse with everything but the cig lighter. I have read of this issue in the past the factory just plugs them in and both connectors are the same just the wire color is different so if they are in a hurry or not paying attention they will be backwards. As for two fuse panels I have a 2011 SG and only found one panel under the left side cover under the seat which has a 15 amp fuse for accy port.

I guess I will have to get new manuals. It stinks since I never even cracked the covers on the 2008 manuals. Oh well. Anyone interested in a full set of Manuals for a 2008 Ultra?

You'll get a better response if you post the manuals in the buy sell thread.

You say the fuse blew after you plugged a device into the accy. port on the fairing, you have a common problem the polarity on the port is reversed.

It is a cigarette lighter not a accessory port. When accessories are plug into the socket with the components plug being bigger, it will short out against body of socket all the time and pop fuse. Hence, why new cars have a accessory socket located through out vehicle and mark not a lighter. Pull the lighter element out and size it up with accessory component trying to be plug into lighter socket and you will see the difference in size.....

The dealer told me there are two fuse panels and not just one. I have no idea where the second one is. Anyone out there have any idea and might have pictures?

The fuse panels may be different on the redesigned '09 - newer baggers, but on the '08's down, one was behind the left side cover (system), and one behind the right side cover (EFI/ECM). Both covers simply pull off after saddlebags are removed. Spares are there also.

Dbmg may be on to something...there IS a physical difference between a Cigar Lighter and Acc Receptacle and since it draws MUCH more power, it will have a ceramic insulator to protect it from the heat. BUT H-D may indeed have a slightly different "keying" method to prevent damage by plugging wrong device in. Another good reason to get a proper tech manual and parts listing to see if it is indeed a unique part number. The new 2011 micro-processor network design may complicate even this simple troubleshooting exercise. :33:

Back