free website stats program Accessory Switch and Cig lighter | Harley Davidson Forums

Accessory Switch and Cig lighter

I have a brand new 2011 Ultra Limited. The day I got it I used the heated hand grips and the accessory switched has been out since. I checked the fuse the other day and it doesn't appear to be blown. This really (EDIT) for a brand new bike.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure it's the ACC switch...and not faulty grips? Test the power @ ACC port for continuity...or take to dealer for warranty check. I had bad rear blinkers w/my '09 week after purchase - rode into dealer & fixed in 5-min (loose fuse). New bike + warranty coverage = easiest fix...no need to waste time troubleshooting.

It could be something simple like a shorted grip. If this is the worst thing that happens to the new steed its not all that bad....

I'm currently living in Frankfurt Germany. I can schedule an appointment for this, but it could be three to four weeks before I can even get in. Their idea of customer service isn't the greatest.

Are you sure it's the ACC switch...and not faulty grips? Test the power @ ACC port for continuity...or take to dealer for warranty check. I had bad rear blinkers w/my '09 week after purchase - rode into dealer & fixed in 5-min (loose fuse). New bike + warranty coverage = easiest fix...no need to waste time troubleshooting.

It appears that way too me since the light on the ACC switch doesn't light up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the service manual & schematics? They are a Must to have especially starting with the 2011 models. A simple on/off switch problem can be deep because of HDLAN and the body control module.

The simple days of using a meter and testing a switch or fuse are somewhat over.

Do you have the service manual & schematics? They are a Must to have especially starting with the 2011 models. A simple on/off switch problem can be deep because of HDLAN and the body control module.

The simple days of using a meter and testing a switch or fuse are somewhat over.

I have the manuals for the 2008 Ultra I had before this one. I wonder if they are that much different?

I have the manuals for the 2008 Ultra I had before this one. I wonder if they are that much different?

BIG time difference. Completely two different monsters.

The 2008 uses straight forward wiring concepts like we are use to.
Example: The ignition switch has 2 poles. One for ignition and 1 for accessory. Simple One click or two clicks. No big deal to understand.

The 2011 has a 200 ohm resistor in the switch. When the BCM sees 200 ohms resistance, it knows to go into accessory mode. When it sees less than 150 (?), it goes in ignition mode.
(I don't know the exact threshold value but you get the idea)

BIG time difference. Completely two different monsters.

The 2008 uses straight forward wiring concepts like we are use to.
Example: The ignition switch has 2 poles. One for ignition and 1 for accessory. Simple One click or two clicks. No big deal to understand.

The 2011 has a 200 ohm resistor in the switch. When the BCM sees 200 ohms resistance, it knows to go into accessory mode. When it sees less than 150 (?), it goes in ignition mode.
(I don't know the exact threshold value but you get the idea)

I guess I will have to get new manuals. It stinks since I never even cracked the covers on the 2008 manuals. Oh well. Anyone interested in a full set of Manuals for a 2008 Ultra?

Back