free website stats program ABS or No ABS on new FLSTN? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

ABS or No ABS on new FLSTN?

Lots of good input and thoughts. However, everyone who has responded so far is of the touring model persuasion. :p I'm with you guys, and also have an Ultra with ABS.

Just curious if there are any softail riders out there who either wish they had ABS or maybe an early 2011 adopter who was able to snag one of these beauties before the rest of us. If so, what were/are your thoughts. Worth it? Wish you had it for a reason or because of an event on your softail?

To Breeze3at, please do not think for a moment that I feel my wife's safety has a price tag... I assure you that it does not, and if I can be 100% convinced that ABS will keep here safer, then the $ will be no object. I'm just a long time rider recently being exposed to the ABS concept on two wheels. :)

Doc... we'll talk :s

JDP, I have had over 40 bikes in my life now and my new ultra is the 1st one I have ever had with ABS. I had no idea what an awesome addition it makes to the handling of a motorcycle. just in having the ability to actually steer while you are on the binders enhances your ability to avoid a crash. I understand what you are saying about wondering about the ABS on a softtail. I would think the ability to brake and steer on any bike would make it worthwhile. I don't know if your local dealer can check on availability in ordering on a spring shipped model or not, but I really do believe it is worth the extra cash and wait to have the ABS. If I had not owned the bike I have now, I would have scoffed at the idea of spending that kind of money for ABS on a bike, but not anymore. I have tried to get my wife to trade her 07 SE Ultra for a new bike with ABS and new features, but she won't go for it. We shortened her bike to fit her, so she doesn't like any of the new ones she sits on because they are all so tall. I know it isn't any fun waiting on a new bike when you are spending that kind of money, but since you are forking out that much cash, make it an investment and wait for the one she (and you) really want.

It appears that I was of the same mind set as most of you. The ABS (if available) is a great feature to a road bike of this weight class (any Harley).

I also should have known... we are in a BUYER'S market. I went back to the dealer and told them exactly what we wanted (and that it HAD to have ABS). He called me the next day when he found one 120 miles away. It will be here this week.

Thanks for all of the input, guys! We will be adding a 2011 Harley-Davidson Softail Deluxe (Birch White/Vivid Black) with ABS to the stable by week's end.:bigsmiley12:

I did not get it on my 08 SG. Perhaps if I had it to do over again I would. I felt like I wanted to be in total control of my braking and wasnt sure about ABS on a bike at the time. Having learned more about it and talking to people with it...I would probably pay the extra and get it.

But...I'm not trading just for ABS...

If I ever decide to trade-up from my 09 FLHX, which would take alot, the bike will have ABS. I wanted a 09 touring before the cat-exhaust changes & only one I found within resonable driving distance so had to settle. Also, this was last Sep so pickn's were pretty slim in the colors I wanted. Still very pleased - ABS is a worthwhile option b/c you can't put a price on safety.

I have rode scooters for over 30 years. I have ABS and will NEVER buy another without them. I guess that tells you how I feel. Would you buy a new cage without them? If you don't get them you will regret it after you buy, and for sure when you sell. JMHO. :s

It appears that I was of the same mind set as most of you. The ABS (if available) is a great feature to a road bike of this weight class (any Harley).

I also should have known... we are in a BUYER'S market. I went back to the dealer and told them exactly what we wanted (and that it HAD to have ABS). He called me the next day when he found one 120 miles away. It will be here this week.

Thanks for all of the input, guys! We will be adding a 2011 Harley-Davidson Softail Deluxe (Birch White/Vivid Black) with ABS to the stable by week's end.:bigsmiley12:

JDPEagle, all I can say is good choice and worth the wait...when talking about an important decision like this, I let patience be my guide...you will not be sorry with ABS...there are too many vehicles that have it standard, with all the testing and research prior to civilian use was done by the military...so research and statistics bearing out the attributes known and understood. The actuals and statistics at the consumer level and use on motorcycles will likely bear the same results. Enjoy your new and safer ride for your wife. :D

Read a recent article that the total number of fatalities of vehicle accidents including motorcycles is down this year...to below year 1950 levels...which is significant when you realize that there is twice as many vehicles on the roads compared to then! Motorcycles are about 11-12% of that total...but also significantly down from even a year ago, and yes it may be due to the sour economy as well as other factors, but even a ray of hope is a good thing. :s

Would it be possible to put the new abs system on an older 2007 or later FLSTN? are the parts available? sensors controller ect..

Would it be possible to put the new abs system on an older 2007 or later FLSTN? are the parts available? sensors controller ect..

Probably no retro fit now, and it would be expensive and time consuming IMO:s

Back