free website stats program 99 fxd dies and restarts 5 min later??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

99 fxd dies and restarts 5 min later???

Apples to oranges here, But I had a VW Rabbit [78?] that would do just about the same thing, It would just die at almost same spot, Let it set for 10/20 minutes and it would run fine... Turned out it was a fuel pump' As soon as it got hot the impeller would just spin but not pump fuel.. .

Last edited:
Main circuit breaker tripping was a very common problem with the eary TCs; it is a 40A breaker. The breaker sits right behind the rear cylinder and is exposed to high heat. Over time, the breaker performance deteriorates and it will trip at lower draw than the 40A rating. It may not be the problem but is certainly worth eliminating as the problem so you can move on to other potential sources.

Well guys I replaced the crank sensor today and tried to ride it home. Wont have the cam sensor till Thursday. Same problem. Practically at the same place on the road too. Coil tested ok. When the main breaker trips does it kill power to the starter as well as the ignition? I have a crank-no-start situation when this occurs. I want to thank everyone who has helped out so far THANKS!!! My red engine light stays on for a few seconds after starting now and it wasn't doing that before. How do I pull codes?

It does sound like the CB. Those were undersized in some years, but I can't remember which those were. Is yours a 40A?

Check these out:

Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums

Cheers,

TQ

A little update on the bike for those curious, the breaker didn't fix, tried a coil from a friends bike and that didn't work. Cleaned the heck out of the grounds and battery connections. Lastly tried the cam sensor and it seemed ok for the short ride I had time for. Tomarrow will tell, It'll be hot out and It shouldn't take long for it to act up. Thanks again for the advice guys!

Back