free website stats program 98 Ultra Running Hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

98 Ultra Running Hot

I’ve got a 98 ultra classic fuel injection that seems like it constantly is running hot, hot enough that it keeps thinning out the oil… I’ve used at first 25-50W then have switched to straight 50w but still it thins out the oil… I have thought about running an oil cooler or switching to synthetic oil or even both, I have read that other guys are taking their lowers off to get more air flow to the motor… anybody have similar issues or any suggestions will be taken in…

thanks

Had a 97 with a simular problem. took my lowers off and went to 60 wt. oil. that helped somewhat. still in very hot weather, no oil pressure, but the oil light would never come on. the gauge would not regester when stopped in traffic. I guess this fixed it, its still running and doing fine.

I'm running a 98 Evo, I get the same symptoms. oil pressure is fine till hot then reads 0-2 on the gauge at idol. I have not seen the oil light come on either. my lowers come off when weather gets warmer. I use 20-50w Mobile 1 synthetic. I dont want to down play your problem, there may be an issue. the low pressure at Idol seems normal, The heat seems normal, the oil light on does not. Yes the bike runs hot but I don't head for home. I would try some of the above suggestions to rule out damage. I wanted to share that some of this sounds normal.

Synthetic oil and an oil cooler may also be a consideration. As many posters pointed out, heat thins out oil. The question becomes how much is too thin? Another suggetion that may be totally off; did you put anything "in front" of the motor like a tool bag, etc? I once had a metric that was water cooled. Obviously, overheating wasn't much of an issue. Not thinking, I put a nice, big tool bag on the front fork. Took me weeks to finally figure out that the temp gauge was running into the red zone, because the tool bag cut off air flow to the radiator. Good luck....

WHAT modifications do you have other than STOCK......

Please List them..

I would remove the Lowers and ANY other wind deflector Even the cupped one bolted under the steering if there..
Please list the deflectors..

If you have after market exhaust and OR air added....
You are Too Lean. I'd BET you don't have a fueler IF the mods. are here.

Also? Idle speed may be too low???

A oil cooler and running synthetic should help...

I'll wait for the answers before Jumping on this band wagon any further...

signed....BUBBIE

Have you checked for intake leaks? As Bubbie says what other mods do you have?

WHAT modifications do you have other than STOCK......

Please List them..

I would remove the Lowers and ANY other wind deflector Even the cupped one bolted under the steering if there..
Please list the deflectors..

If you have after market exhaust and OR air added....
You are Too Lean. I'd BET you don't have a fueler IF the mods. are here.

Also? Idle speed may be too low???

A oil cooler and running synthetic should help...

I'll wait for the answers before Jumping on this band wagon any further...

signed....BUBBIE

i found out that my head gaskets were shot which my mechanic thought that was why i was heating up the oil more than normal but so far that wasn't why, i was even smelling the oil as being hot oil... you know what i'm talking if you have smelled scorching hot oil... i have had the whole top half of the engine basically replaced new pistons/rings, cam/bearings, cylinders bored to 9.5, valve job, heads cleaned up, power commander, big sucker air cleaner... $2000.00 worth of work but still not able to ride it yet...

thanks

i found out that my head gaskets were shot which my mechanic thought that was why i was heating up the oil more than normal but so far that wasn't why, i was even smelling the oil as being hot oil... you know what i'm talking if you have smelled scorching hot oil... i have had the whole top half of the engine basically replaced new pistons/rings, cam/bearings, cylinders bored to 9.5, valve job, heads cleaned up, power commander, big sucker air cleaner... $2000.00 worth of work but still not able to ride it yet...

thanks
Has anybody run a good oil pressure gauge to see IF the oil IS pressured enough?

I would go for a good brand of 20/50 full synthetic oil and a oil Cooler...

take off the lowers and try that .. I do have a feeling that the oil pump is still the old stock one? or replaced? The newer style use a better gerotor size and ratio to pump More Oil around and Back to the oil tank..

I'd BET your engine is SUMPING the oil and that WILL cause the oil to heat very HOT......

If the oil pump is installed a little off ,oil can sump (not return) causing the crank to SWIM in oil, heating and loosing power.

what are the idle pressures cold and then hot.. is idle up to where it is supposed to be?
What are the oil pressures cold at about 2500 RPM and Hot at the same?

Do you run it and not have it stopped long so it IS air cooled enough.?....

signed....BUBBIE

Has anybody run a good oil pressure gauge to see IF the oil IS pressured enough?

I would go for a good brand of 20/50 full synthetic oil and a oil Cooler...

take off the lowers and try that .. I do have a feeling that the oil pump is still the old stock one? or replaced? The newer style use a better gerotor size and ratio to pump More Oil around and Back to the oil tank..

I'd BET your engine is SUMPING the oil and that WILL cause the oil to heat very HOT......

If the oil pump is installed a little off ,oil can sump (not return) causing the crank to SWIM in oil, heating and loosing power.

what are the idle pressures cold and then hot.. is idle up to where it is supposed to be?
What are the oil pressures cold at about 2500 RPM and Hot at the same?

Do you run it and not have it stopped long so it IS air cooled enough.?....

signed....BUBBIE

yes they put a mech. oil pressure gauge on... the mech gauge has 6-7 psi when my gauge reads 0psi.

i have mentioned to the mechanic about synthetic and a oil cooler, he really doesn't like synthetic and as a last resort an oil cooler...

i thought about taking the lowers off.. but that is how the bike was made and you would think that it should run with or without them on with no problems...

i asked him about the oil pump and they say that it is working just fine...

i'm about to go over there and just say to him get the fricken bike tuned like you were supposed to and i'll be on my way... by the time i get it back summer will be over with...

Thanks

The lowers come off in about 10 minutes, and go on in about the same time. You will be shocked at the change in air flow. Up to you though.

i have mentioned to the mechanic about synthetic and a oil cooler, he really doesn't like synthetic and as a last resort an oil cooler...

Thanks

What's not to like about synthetic?

It will keep lubricating over 250* where dino oil will degrade fast.

Oil-Breakdown.jpg

Back