free website stats program 98 Ultra Running Hot | Harley Davidson Forums

98 Ultra Running Hot

98-Fatboy

I’ve got a 98 ultra classic fuel injection that seems like it constantly is running hot, hot enough that it keeps thinning out the oil… I’ve used at first 25-50W then have switched to straight 50w but still it thins out the oil… I have thought about running an oil cooler or switching to synthetic oil or even both, I have read that other guys are taking their lowers off to get more air flow to the motor… anybody have similar issues or any suggestions will be taken in…

thanks

I have a 2010 limited with the 103 it ran hot until I changed to full syn oil huge improvement runs a lot cooler, I also hear that a stage 1 will help.

I’ve got a 98 ultra classic fuel injection that seems like it constantly is running hot, hot enough that it keeps thinning out the oil…

Are you sure that the oil is not being diluted by fuel getting into it. Todays oils can take heat pretty well. How many miles are on the engine.

Are you sure that the oil is not being diluted by fuel getting into it. Todays oils can take heat pretty well. How many miles are on the engine.

yeh quite sure...no fuel in the oil... it is thinning it out so bad that i'm getting no oil pressure at an idle and the oil light is coming on... and the back cylinder is getting hot enough to roast my chestnuts...

Does the bike have a lean surge while holding a steady throttle at 60 MPH.
Does the bike have a slight bog when you twist the throttle.
Does the bike have lack of power while pulling up a steady incline.

Does the bike have a lean surge while holding a steady throttle at 60 MPH.
Does the bike have a slight bog when you twist the throttle.
Does the bike have lack of power while pulling up a steady incline.

nope bike runs real smooth... the only way i realized something was up was my chestnuts were getting real hot one day while out riding, i came up to a stop light and i looked down at the oil pressure gauge and there was 0-2 psi on the gauge... now i understand that the in the fairing oil gauge is not accurate but my mechanic is even scratching his head... i had some motor work done over the winter to find out that my head gaskets were shot, thus making my mechanic think that the oil was heating up due to the gasket leak... but not so now that everything is back together and still having the same problem...

thanks

Have you dropped a thermometer in the oil tank to see what the temp is? As was said before todays oils will stand some pretty high temps and not break down. Taking the lowers off during the summer down here in Fl is something that most riders do. Are you doing a lot of around town riding or does it get hot while your out on the road just cruising?

Have you dropped a thermometer in the oil tank to see what the temp is? As was said before todays oils will stand some pretty high temps and not break down. Taking the lowers off during the summer down here in Fl is something that most riders do. Are you doing a lot of around town riding or does it get hot while your out on the road just cruising?

i do some of both for riding... it seems like i can't get more than an hours ride before it gets so hot that i have to head home... i thought about a temp gauge dipstick but when i heard they are about $100 i changed my mind on that one...

thanks

You really need to measure the temperature. Going by feel can be misleading.

But if your set on the engine is running hot, then I would check the fuel pump pressure. If the pressure is lower than normal the engine will run lean and hot. If the pressure tests normal, your rear injector my have low/poor flow. I would not use any fuel tank injector cleaners. The injectors are not crazy expensive and I would just replace it/them.

Back