free website stats program 98 sporty | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

98 sporty

so float bowl is ok for fuel blowing air through the throat of carb wont pull the fuel out the air has to be sucked through by the engine and that suction is what draws the fuel up through the jets
if you try turning the engine over with the throttle held open whilst looking into the carb air filter removed then you should see the slide raise and fuel come through the jets

Brian

Hi Brian It seems to be getting a good amount of fuel. when i ride it for a few min and then shut it off it will not start. Itought it was the coil so i tested the coil and it was out of spec so I replaced it and it still did the same thing when i rode it two days ago it would not start and the plugs were dry so thats when i put gas in and it started rite up thats why i think it is not geting fuel into the pistons but it seems to be getting fuel when it is cold.

Back track time...did you check out the entire fueling system...i.e. fuel tank and liner intact and free of debris or rust? Is the fuel petcock/filter clean? If vacuum diapharam shutoff valve equipped, is it okay AND the vacuum line feeding it? Is there gum or varnish in there...old sticky or grooved Viton float needle valve?

When its cold you will be using the choke this adds another source of fuel through the carb
from all you have said i would suspect that some of the jets are blocked
so time to pull the main and slow jets and blow some compressed air through them to clear them out also check the sizes of them
slow jet needs to be about 45 and main about 185

Brian

Nae trouble with helping out where i can but as im in scotland i may be in a different time zone so may be delay in replys
if you had been around here i ask you to bring bike round much esier to diagnose a fault when you have it in your hands

Brian

I just checked the gas tank petcock and I cleaned and blew air through the jets and then took it for a 15 min ride came back home and it would not start back up. I wonder if there is a relay or something going bad.

The ignition module can go bad and when it gets hot it fails to spark
so when you have the no start problem pull one of the ht leads and plug a spare spark plug into it place it so that the outer metal edge of the plug is against the engine and try starting and see if there is spark at the plug don't hold the plug or ht lead as you may end up going through the roof as there is approx 25000 volts in a good spark
if there is no spark try cooling the ignition module use a spray duster the kind that you will get in a computer shop for cleaning keyboards etc as the air comes out really cold
then check for spark once again

Brian

What do you think about timing when it gets hot could it throw it out just enough so it will not start. it has 17000 miles on it and i do not think it has ever been checked my brother inlaw owned it since it was new igot it from him last year.

Neither ignition or engine timing should go off when hot
engine timing is set by the gears in the gear case and if they are in line when cold they will still be inline when hot
the ignition timing is driven of the engine timing and once correctly set will not go off

Brian

Back