free website stats program 98 sporty | Harley Davidson Forums

98 sporty

Hi I have a 98 sport it seems to not be getting gas to the cylinders if you spray gas in the cylinders thru the spark plugs it will start and run fine. I rebuilt the carb and it is still the same. can anybody help. Thanks goatman

Have you checked the jets for blockages when you rebuilt the carb? Is the float hung up? Can you drain some fuel from the drain hose?

CVFloatbowlRR.png

Then it points to the jets , you have an accelerator pump on that carb? Does it squirt when you open the throttle?

Yes it does I just replaced the diaphragmin it today and it started right up i thought my problem was solved. but then it started doing the same thing.

If you were to open the throttle more than once or twice, does the accel pump continue to pump every time or does it stop squirting?

Also if you were to open the bowl drain, would it continue to run at a pretty good rate or would that stop running after an ounce or two drained out?

Yes it does. I put in manifold gaskets to day it did not help. I orderd a vacuum piston. do you know if when it is not running when you open the throttle will the slide open to let more air and fuel in.

The slide will only go up when a vacume draws it up
when you open the throttle it opens a buttefly valve that allows air through the carb when the piston in the engine goes down and the inlet valve is open then the suction from the engine pulls the carb slide up
so it will not move if the engine is not running
first check the level in the float bowl place a clear plastic pipe on the carb drain and tape it up against the carb open the drain valve and the level of fuel in the carb will be seen by how far up the float bowl the fuel is should be near the top of the float bowl
if fuel depth is ok next check the jets blow through with compressed air
as air flows through the throat of the carb it creates a vacume above the jets and sucks the fuel up through the jets and it vapoises in the air
so correct fuel level in the float bowl and clear jets are critical

Brian

The float bowl level is just about to the screws that hold the bowl on I do not see any thing when i bolw air through the throat over the jets.

Back