free website stats program 96' 883 Hugger won't start? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

96' 883 Hugger won't start?

Yes, I had starting fluid in the carb last night. It fired right up but when it stopped, it stopped. I can not seem to get the fuel to flow to the carb. I think I'm just getting burnt out and looking for a way out of working on it myself. I called the local Harley shop(Bumpus) and they say that they can rebuild it for under 150.00.

I think I'll give it one more shot tonight and if no success off to Bumpus it goes.

Don't give up, it sounds like you almost have it fixed! :bigsmiley10:

Okay, here's an update. I finally have the carb cleaned properly and the bike will start on it's own without being force fed starting fluid. But, I have a new problem which I think is minor but, I'm not sure how to correct it. The fuel just flows though the carb and does not stop. It comes out of the overflow and everywhere else it can find to flow. I am assuming that the float is not rising enough to stop the fuel access. is there an easy way to set the float tab and fix this? Thanks again!

When you cleaned out the carb did you check out the condition of the needle and seat?

Yep, all of that is good. I have read the manual and it says to properly set the float you need some funky gauges and to turn them counterclockwise 15 to 20 degrees and some other things. It's not very user friendly. I'm hoping to find someone with experience with this issue and can explain it in english for me.

If I don't have the guages they tell you to I do it the old fashioned way,before I reinstall the carb I hook up a fuel line leaving the bowl off and manually lift the float to see when the fuel stops coming in. Just remember 2/3s of the float will be submerged in fuel before it floats so you have to take that into consideration when doing this.

You need to adjust the little tab on the float up a little to push the needle up sooner.
Are you sure the float is not cracked. Check that there is no fluid in the float.

Check post #16 by Brian (FIN_676) below using a clear tube shaped like a "J" from the float bowl drain to the float bowl seam...the fuel should be 3/4" full or just below the seam by 1/8" or so... :D

http://www.hdtimeline.com/softail_m..._if_it_aint_broke_dont_fix_it.html#post133307

It is the "classic" way to do it from the old Chevy & Ford small block racing days, but Brian jarred that memory back to the front! Still remember those old rebuild kits with the cardboard templates to "looking under the carb, while using your finger to hold the float tang and needle gently seated, so the float drop could be measured.:small3d015:

Last edited:
My bike is running and idols by itself! Thank you to everyone. I am a new rider and this is the first bike that I have owned so now that it is roadworthy I'm Gone! First it was the junked up carb and then it was the float. You guys were all a huge help.

My bike is running and idols by itself! Thank you to everyone. I am a new rider and this is the first bike that I have owned so now that it is roadworthy I'm Gone! First it was the junked up carb and then it was the float. You guys were all a huge help.

Whooo Hoooo! Great job! I knew you could do it. :small3d018:

Back