free website stats program 96' 883 Hugger won't start? | Harley Davidson Forums

96' 883 Hugger won't start?

My bike has been sitting for about 2 1/2 years. I have cleaned the carburator out, replaced the fuel inlet fitting, and the fuellines from the tank to the carburator. The bike will start if I force feed starting fluid to the carb. but, it acts like it's not getting fuel from the tank. I'm new to this, it's my first bike. the previous owner was my father so I know he bike has run and run well in the past. It sat in his shed until I just saved it. Any help would be great. I want to get this thing on the road!

If you pull the fuel line off the petcock , is there gas flowing out with the petcock in the run position?

I have the new house coming from the tank to the filter then another house. If I open the fuel it will run straight through. When I hook it up it appears to stop. I don't know if this is a gravity issue or carburator still/

Hose, not house I can't even think right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the hose disconnected & the petcock off, Try spraying some Carb cleaner in the hose attachment on the carburator... Let that sit for awhile. The cleaner will attack the jello, goo that has formed between the needle & seat of the carb bowl. After that length of storage gas in small areas turns to a mess. Also get rid of the remaining gas in the tank because it will most likely be "Flat"... Good Luck !!

Thanks guys, I am done for tonight. I am going to try both of those things in the morning. I'll let you all know how it worked out.

if it sat that long pull your bowl off if it has gas in the bowl ck your jets its almost impossable to clean out the primary jet buy a new jet the main with a little work can be cleaned if no fuel is in there its the needle and seat but no matter what ck your jets ill bet the primary is pluged,jel

Well, here's the latest. There is no fuel in the bowl si I can only assume that there is an issue between the bowl and the fuel inlet fitting. I have replaced everything from the tank down to the fitting. and have cleaned out the jets and the carburator. I have the carb sitting in cleaner now. Any suggestions?

yes, if I disconnect the fuel hose from the fuel inlet fitting it runs like crazy. I took a 3 foot piece of fuel hose and hooked it straight in to the fuel inlet fitting. Filled it with fuel and can not get the gas to go in to the bowl. Is this normal if the bike is not running or should the fuel enter the bowl with out the engine running?

Back