free website stats program '93 FXR Charging Question. Help ! | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

'93 FXR Charging Question. Help !

At the two lower settings the thing reads erratically. Only at 20,000 does it zero out (when touching the two probes together). At that setting it shows 0.00 when touching the two probes together or when applying the probes to the two stator pins.

Your meter is bad.

So...here's what I'm coming up with. Since I couldn't get a new VR today (that's turning out to be a good thing maybe) I did some more learning and testing. The stator is putting out good voltage...20-60. I did all the tests on the stator and VR, even the diode test on the VR. Everything checks out EXCEPT, I'm only getting about 12.5-12.7 out of the VR and it doesn't change with an increase in RPM. I get that measurement at the battery and right where the wire from the VR to the battery exits the VR (so no problem in between).

My only conclusion is that the stator is fine and the VR is working but not well enough to keep the system alive. Any other possibilities?

Did you test the stator under load, or just measuring the Vac output at the plug as the rpm changed? That can sometimes show an OK stator even when there are burnt coils.

I suggest opening the derby cover or the chain tensioner inspection plate (if equiped) and taking a sniff. If the fluid smells burnt, then it is very likely that you have some burnt coils. A better check is to open up the primary, pull the compensator, clutch basket and chain, and then pull the rotor to visually inspect the stator for burnt coils.

If the stator checks out from a visual inspection, then I would replace the VR.

TQ

Last edited:
Did you test the stator under load, or just measuring the Vac output at the plug as the rpm changed? That can sometimes show an OK stator even when there are burnt coils.

I suggest opening the derby cover or the chain tensioner inspection place (if equiped) and taking a sniff. If the fluid smells burnt, then it is very likely that you have some burnt coils. A better check is to open up the primary, pull the compensator, clutch basket and chain, and then pull the rotor to visually inspect the stator for burnt coils.

If the stator checks out from a visual inspection, then I would replace the VR.

TQ

Only measured the stator output as I worked the throttle. How do you do it under load? Dyno?

No fluid in my primary!

I hear you, but if the stator is putting out 20-60 volts (not under load) wouldn't a good VR be doing better than a static 12.5 under the same conditions?

Last edited by a moderator:
These are both new parts from just last month correct? You installed a new stator and VR in early August.

Have you replaced the circuit breaker that is in-between the battery and VR? I don't have the schematics for a 1993 FXR but you should have one. That is a must to replace if you have not.

These are both new parts from just last month correct? You installed a new stator and VR in early August.

Have you replaced the circuit breaker that is in-between the battery and VR? I don't have the schematics for a 1993 FXR but you should have one. That is a must to replace if you have not.

Yep..did that too.

Back