free website stats program 85 MPH speed limit | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

85 MPH speed limit

I don't understand why if everyone loves riding so much; why are they always in such a hurry to get to their destination.

Um....sometimes the destination is 500 miles away, lets do some math.

at 45 mph it will take 11 hours and 7 minutes.
at 70 mph it will take 7 hours and 9 minutes.
That is almost a four hour difference. However if I take state highways for the 45 mph part the time will take considerably longer because of all the traffic lights.

This is a typical scenario for me when I go to the mountains to ride up there.

OH...and sometimes we like going faster than a moped???

Route 95 in North and South Carolina is posted at 70 mph. Most drivers are at least 10 over. I am comfortable about 72 on my bike, 75 in the suv. 4x4's weren't built to go 85.

On the return leg of my adventure to CA this past June I came through El Paso on I-10. I stopped at Fort Hancock for breakfast and checked the map for an alternative to running 80+ MPH. In Van Horn, TX I cut south on Hwy 90 and made my way east to Del Rio. A beautiful two lane road with virtually no traffic, speed limit 70; perfect! As has been stated, one can make good time running 80-85 and sometimes I guess it's necessary. To me it is not comfortable cruising at that pace and I try to avoid pushing my equipment that hard. Another advantage to being retired with no obligation to show up at the salt mines.

Just because it's the posted limit don't mean you have to run 85mph. Sometimes you see minimum limit of 40mph which you don't run. The DOT is saying, if you run over 85 mph, You can get a ticket. Use your on good judgement.

My bike, 08 FLHTC, runs best at around 70-75 MPH on the highway. These newer bikes can run highway speeds all day long without any harm.

should try running the 401 east & west of Toronto. Some days you have to run 75 in the right lane to prevent getting run over.I don`t run the hiway often but if the kid wants to be picked up its 1.5 hrs each way on the 401 or 12 hrs trying to get into the city. there is like 200 stop lights, if you want to take your time you will get all green but if it starts to rain they are all red .

Ive run 80 on that toll road before its not a problem,its very seldom traveled theres no hills it curves very slightly if at all if there is a road that can handle 85 its that one,if your sight seeing you dont take that road anyway only reason to be on it is avoid austin traffic...

Back